Sv650 Set Up Recomendations...

Hello every one... My name is Luis...

I am looking foreward to attending school... But fist I want to make sure my machine is set up as good as can afford to do it...

I am about 200 lbs + gear... I ride a 2006 SV650... I am an intermediate skill track day rider...

I have a 2008 GSXR 1000 front end with Traxxion AK20 and 0.95 kg/mm springs...

I have a Penske double with a 550 lbs/in spring... Total shock lenght is 343mm...

I have 2007 GSXR 750 front and rear wheels... And I am using Michelin Power One tires 120/70R17 front and 180/55R17 rear... Air pressure is 30 psi front and 29 psi rear (hot)

I am considering installing the Traxxion 07 - 08 GSXR 1000 fork cap extensions...

Any advise to set up the bike would be appreciated... Thanks in advance... Luis

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Luis

It's impossible to give a setup that will just work for you really. First thing to do is set the preload to about 15mm sag at the front and 6mm at the back, without rider. Getting this right is fairly simple but can make a huge difference if it's alreayd very wrong. Don't fiddle with the damping until you do this. After that it's a case of changing one thing at a time, riding it, making notes, go back around. Try this:

www.bikeguru.co.uk/susp.html

If it's for the track then on track days (not CSS) you can hire an Ohlins or other suspension guy for about £30/$50 who will be your tech for the day and do the fiddling for you, this is well worth it. For CSS though, a basic road setup is fine as you won't be too near the limits of its performance, because it's a learning day.

Hello every one... My name is Luis...

I am looking foreward to attending school... But fist I want to make sure my machine is set up as good as can afford to do it...

I am about 200 lbs + gear... I ride a 2006 SV650... I am an intermediate skill track day rider...

I have a 2008 GSXR 1000 front end with Traxxion AK20 and 0.95 kg/mm springs...

I have a Penske double with a 550 lbs/in spring... Total shock lenght is 343mm...

I have 2007 GSXR 750 front and rear wheels... And I am using Michelin Power One tires 120/70R17 front and 180/55R17 rear... Air pressure is 30 psi front and 29 psi rear (hot)

I am considering installing the Traxxion 07 - 08 GSXR 1000 fork cap extensions...

Any advise to set up the bike would be appreciated... Thanks in advance... Luis

Hi Luis,

J/rod had some suggestions, not familiar with setting the bike up that way w/out the rider, we normally do it with the rider on the bike. For sure agree do the springs before you do the damping, as it could change a lot. We certainly have had guys going quite well at the school, but it for sure is a learning day, as opposed to an open track day.

I think youtube has our bike suspension set up on it, you could try there, this should be the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBlqVx4mWUw...PL&index=12

Best,

CF

Hi Cobie

Know what you mean about sag without rider, but I got this from a trackday Ohlins tech (Colin here in the UK). It's also right with the rider on, provided you have the right spring weight (which is obviously something to get right before twiddling a spanner). I'd go with the rider on board if unsure so 25-30mm at the front, maybe 20-25mm at the back, as that's how you ride it after all. Don't overcook the rebound damping though, or it'll try to spin when you feed the power on at silly lean angles.

• 2 months later...