Nervous Newbie

Hi all

Just discovered the forum. I have signed up for level 1 in April and started looking for hints and tips before I go. Am pretty nervous to be honest with the age old fears I think of looking ######/been the slowest/worst at cornering. All the things that shouldnt really matter but still prey on your mind (well mine anyway).

Have done a couple of track days and am in the slow group so there is room for huge improvment, fingers crossed the school can work its magic on me. (dont ever think i'll be in a fast group as do not think i am loony enough), So long as I can improve i'll be happy.

Any advice GREATLY appreciated.

Colin

Howdy. You won't hit the track after school and be in the faster group, but you'll have the tools to get you into a fast group. Once you learn to ride track properly and get comfortable a little at a time, you're not going to think it's looney. You can get within 10 seconds of the fastest riders laptimes, and you'll be completely comfortable. Enjoy. Work on the smooth, and the speed will come.

Hi all

Just discovered the forum. I have signed up for level 1 in April and started looking for hints and tips before I go. Am pretty nervous to be honest with the age old fears I think of looking ######/been the slowest/worst at cornering. All the things that shouldnt really matter but still prey on your mind (well mine anyway).

Have done a couple of track days and am in the slow group so there is room for huge improvment, fingers crossed the school can work its magic on me. (dont ever think i'll be in a fast group as do not think i am loony enough), So long as I can improve i'll be happy.

Colin

Hi Mate,

So lets start by saying welcome, and you've made a positive step to making your riding better, regardless of where you start, you'll definitely end up more in control, safer, more confident in what to do, and understand what your bike needs from you, and what you need to provide for it. ;)

So, lets start by dispelling some myths for you. Each rider is categorised by their previous track riding ability, racing experience, and clearly you're short on those things, which means you'll be in what we designate the green group. This group is full of people just like you. First timers, people with no track experience on the whole, people who aren't looking to be rossi, but just like you want to improve steadily, comfortably within your own time and boundaries. I absolutely guarantee you won't be the slowest!

Now there are rules for things like track ettiquette, which get explained on the day, we have for example a passing rule, as we want everyone to enjoy themselves and feel comfortable with their experience. The rules are policed by the coaches and we think nothing of picking up bad/repeat offenders and have a gentle word when we see things we shouldn't even when the offenders aren't our own students, so hopefully that's another fear we'll diminish right now too? We're not out to piss people off, pr ruin their day, and we realise sometimes mistakes happen, but we're their to ensure a safe, comfortable learning environment for all.

Now, I'll be at the event in April at Stowe myself, so you're more than welcome to ask questions, anyhting that may put your mind to rest, dispell any of your fears. You can come say hi on the day, and let me know you're having a good day ok? Hell, you might even get me as your on track coach if your really, really unlucky! :lol: If you do want or need to ask anything, please do, either on forum or by PM, and I'll try and answer it for you.

In the meantime, fear not, You'll have an amazing day, just like everyone else does at a a school day. Turn up early, keen, bright eye'd bushy tailed with a open mind to learn new things, and it'll blow you away at how much you'll improve!

Bullet

Welcome to the forum mate!

I know how you feel, I myself was in the same position a couple of years ago worrying about all those things but let me assure you, you will have a great time! Once you have had your first class room session and go out onto track to practice your first drill you will forget all about those fears, You are there to learn so focus on the drills and you wont be caring if your the slowest guy out there (which you wont be) you will just be having so much fun and be amazed at what you and your bike are capable of! If you haven't already I would recomend reading twist of the wrist 1 and 2, that way you will be turning up at school a bit better prepared for the day ahead!

Bobby

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

Have got my accom booked for the night before close by so hopefully i can get there early, dont know about bright eyed and bushy tailed, am not a morning person :blink:-_-

Always open minded n willing to learn , but no brakes !!!! eek.

Been slowest shouldnt really matter as means can improve the most but still, its just a silly niggle that goes through head from time to time

Have already finished twist o the wrist 2 and am starting on 1 now, wrong way round i know, but got 2 as xmas pressie, liked it so much i bought 1. :lol: Have ordered the DVD and am gonna reread the books slowly soon to try n absorb the info, n go out n practice it if get half the chance.

A quick question for ya bullet, do I need a gold rated helmet as i've got a schburth but as its european it dont have the gold sticker?

Ta

Colin

A quick question for ya bullet, do I need a gold rated helmet as i've got a schburth but as its european it dont have the gold sticker?

Ta

Colin

I think you'll be absolutely fine with that mate, we're look for intact, crash free helmets, not neccesarily a gold sticker!

Bullet

Hi all

Colin

My favorite, most memorable student was 74 years old and had a total of 4, yes FOUR, months riding experience on his BMW K75. Believe me when I say he was the slowest rider I've ever worked with. Over the course of three days he essentially doubled his speed, dropping a minute+ off his lap times. But what was more memorable than that were the HUGE smiles that could easily be seen through his full face helmet as he recognized his own gains. That's what was so memorable about him, his joy at winning!

Yeah, coaches like riding fast. But everyone of them likes it even more when you succeed. If you're starting fresh, slow, with a lot of problems, we just have more opportunity to help you. It's a win, win situation.