Braking Deeper And Level 3

I loose so much time by braking too early, I ultimately have to speed up again to hit the turn with speed. I think it is mental as I can follow a faster rider in and rail the turn. I have taken Levels 1 and 2 years ago. I wanted to take level 3 at NJ to work on my body position. Would level 3 help with my braking or should I go back to level 2 and take level 3 another time?

Thanks,

Sean

I loose so much time by braking too early, I ultimately have to speed up again to hit the turn with speed. I think it is mental as I can follow a faster rider in and rail the turn. I have taken Levels 1 and 2 years ago. I wanted to take level 3 at NJ to work on my body position. Would level 3 help with my braking or should I go back to level 2 and take level 3 another time?

Thanks,

Sean

Sean,

The level 3 has techniques that will help one to save a bad line. If I remember correctly, student are asked to intentional make a bad drive and then correct it with the new techniques. I find that some drills at level 1 such as quick turn, become more exciting and important as one has more confidence for higher entry speed with skills from level 3. I cannot recall spending too much time at learning to brake at level 3, instead I spend more time to exercise at higher entry speed with body position and quicker turn.

I believe that one who crashes at level 1 or 2, can probably save with the level 3 skills. Hope you can join level 3 soon and find out.

Thanks,

Sean

Sean;

I have suffered from the same issue from time to time and find that it is usually related more to sloppy utilization of the visual skills than anything else. The 2-step & 3-step drills are things you can still work on when you take Level III even while you work on your body position drills - and every School starts with the"No Brakes" drill so you will still spend a session (or two) working on setting your entry speed correctly. Regardless, all of us still need to know where we are on the track to make any of the turns and that is why the visual drills are used whether we consciously think about them or not.

Unles it has been many years since you took Level I & II and you have forgotten what you learned then Level III should be OK. Having said all that I retook all four levels last year and it was very beneficial to me.

Rainman

Sean,

I'd agree with Rainman: the visual skills will be the key to this, but what is done at level 3 will also make them appear a bit differently (many riders get more comfortable getting lower on the bike and that does have an effect on the visual skills).

I'd also agree that if you do level 3, we won't ignore what is happening with your visuals, and that gets you 1 step closer to level 4, where we can do an individualized program.

I'd suggest moving on to level 3, we'll sort out the visuals as needed. One point that you might consdier is have you ever had the idea of using a end of braking marker, or speed set point (as opposed to just a beginning braking marker?)

Best,

CF