Rules: Must I Use Schools 636 In Two Day Camp?

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Corvette,

We've kept away from doing this (having students use their own bikes), and there are a few reasons

1. With virtually any mechanical problem you'd be out of luck (minor reason).

2. You will be switching repeatedly back on forth on the camera bike (a 636) and then getting your riding reviewed by a senior instructor, and many complain about having to get used to riding a different bike, rather than just working on their riding.

3. You will also be riding the lean and slide bike, and those are ZX-6R's too, and likely the NO BS bike.

4. Our bikes have been set up and maintained by a truly top mechanic, and if anything does go wrong, we have spares of everything that could be needed. Many are amazed after riding our bikes and then go back to their own bike having experienced what a correctly set up bike is like.

The big reason is--from the standpoint of the training, when all are using the same bike, the same tires, then as many variables are out of the equation as possible, and the student can just concentrate on his riding. It's almost like being a factory rider--you don't have to put gas in the thing or fuel it! This is really the major reason--quality of training. It has worked well for many years, so we like to keep something in place when we get excellent results.

Now, all that being said, if you brought your bike, you might be able to ride it a session or maybe even 2 at the end of the day. But, it's also going to throw off your lap times, which you will get for the whole day at the end.

Best,

Cobie Fair

Chief Instructor

Many are amazed after riding our bikes and then go back to their own bike having experienced what a correctly set up bike is like.

This is especially true for me, which is why I'm having Will do a basic set-up of my own 636. The school's bike was just amazing and it did help me focus on the riding. I'm glad I didn't bring my bike because I'm not a professional and my bike is not properly set-up. I could've crashed just worrying about it.