Decreasing Radius And Throttle

What is the recommended technique for taking a decreasing radius turn (270 degree) and when to get on the throttle. I find that if I enter the turn at a good clip with some lean angle to spare, I can then lean it over further as I go into the turn, but I hesitate to apply throttle as I lean more. The challenge is (especially headed downhill) that as the turn radius decreases and I am leaning over more and OFF the throttle I start to put a lot of load on the front tire. Doing this yesterday I found that when I entered the turn a bit hotter than I wanted I really had to get the bike over further as the radius decreased, and I ended up sliding the front a bit (just enough to scare me and blow my confidence for the rest of the ride.) If I had been able to add a bit of throttle I am sure I could have transferred more weight to the rear and avoided the slip, but then I think I might have suffered a different fate.

Any suggestions from anyone.

(Caveat: I realize this is probably something best experimented with at the track - and there arent' too many 270 degree turns at tracks like there are on mountain roads.)

When I get to the second turn point for the decrease, I don't come off the gas. I go to "static throttle" and make my input. That puts more weight on the front for a better controlled turn, but doesn't make the high RPM release of the throttle weigh the front down. You could also check your tires for wear, pressure and properly heating.

I'm sure an instructor will chime in soon enough.

Hi Two,

First question would be surface and tire condtion/temp. Was that tire warm on that side for sure, and was there anything slippery on the road?

For handling dec radius, best to check the section on turn points in Twist 2, that has some diagrams in it, could get you the info you are looking for.

Let us know what you get on that.

CF

Hi Cobie,

I will review the twist materials again, I think now after doing Levels 1 & 2 the materials take on a new dimension.

In regards to your question about the tires and road. The tires were definitely warmed up on both sides (as it was at the bottom of the mountain.) The road seemed fine, lots of grip, no sand. But you never know I could have run over a leaf or something. It was a short, jerky little slip. I was off the throttle, but had been off for a bit, so throttle was constant. The slip occured when I applied more countersteering pressure to create more lean - potentially I was not smooth enough in applying throttle. My SR's were definiteliy kicking off and I was most likely getting pretty rigid on the bike and holding the handlebars tighter than I needed to.

I am looking forwad to Level 3, as I can not consistently get my body position such that I can relax. Sometimes I can nail it and be relaxed hanging off, other times it feels akward and like I am expending too much energy.

Hi Two,

Ok, got a better picture now. Sounds like you will like level 3, and with it we can work to get you more consistently positioned (stably so) on the bike, so you can make sure you are able to loosen up on the bars.

CF