Yet Another Noob

Hello all!

I've been lurking here a bit but figured I better sign up.

I recently started riding again after going years without, unless you count off-road. Last fall came to the conclusion I wanted a sport (never had one) and this spring picked up a shiny new ZX-6R :ph34r: and man did I pick a winner, awesome machine! My desire is to truly ride this machine not just cruise on it. I expect to learn it inside and out to the degree of doing as much of my own service as possible.

So, over the course of the winter I read quite a bit of riding material but it was about 3 weeks ago I ordered the Twist II DVD from CSS and inpatient for its arrival went to the book store and picked up the Twist II book. Finished reading it and some re-reading before the DVD finally came. Good stuff, if for in the very least it communicates to someone like me very well using 'technology' to express a point and logically evidencing that point. I've attempted to apply some of what I've read and already proven what was written is true.

Track riding is becoming more and more of an interest though I have no experience other than what I've read or seen on TV. I get the impression it's addicting! But it hasn't been an easy task even getting to a track let along getting on one. Busy life, parent and tracks not very nearby has made it a little difficult and I simply can't safely try so much of what I've read on the streets. So, I think I would like to attend some CSS sessions if ever possible if for any reason to get to ride one of those new BMW's. ;)

I run a couple of forums like this but for guitar players so it's kind of odd being the NOOB but I want keep improving my riding and so here I am.

Looking forward to spunging off anyone and everyone I can! :lol:

Hi Gorecki,

First off, welcome to the forum and glad you aren't lurking any more :).

The 600 is a really nice bike, you'll have fun on that for sure.

Good job on picking up the book and the DVD, that is the place to start for sure.

What part of the country are you in, what are the closest tracks to you?

Best,

Cobie

Hi Cobie, didn't I see you in the Twist II DVD 'sag' setup? :huh:

What part of the country are you in, what are the closest tracks to you?

I'm in Maryland about 40 miles north of DC. As tracks go, I only have the internet as a resource because I honestly don't know anyone else who would care and I believe I'm the only one in my general area who even owns a bike. :blink:

Summit Point in WV is ~ 60 miles (Closest)

Thunderbolt in NJ is ~ 150 miles

Pocono in PA is ~ 220 miles

Beaver Run in PA is ~ 260 miles

Virginia International is ~ 260 miles

There may be something closer but I'm not finding it. <_<

Welcome to the forum... let the sponging begin! Seriously, you picked a great place to learn... there's a few places out there on the internet that seem to want to help but some of them are full of bull-horns and send folks in the wrong direction.

What kind of guitar/s do you play?

Hi Cobie, didn't I see you in the Twist II DVD 'sag' setup? :huh:

There may be something closer but I'm not finding it. <_<

Well that's a pretty decent choice of tracks not too far away. We'll be heading that way soon, the May/June trip is one of my favorites--good time of the year to be riding.

Yes, I was in the sag video, KC, Dylan Code and I.

Seems like there is a bit of interest in riding in that area, I'm surprised you haven't found others near you...I bet if you get teh word out a bit, that will change soon.

CF

Welcome to the forum... let the sponging begin! Seriously, you picked a great place to learn... there's a few places out there on the internet that seem to want to help but some of them are full of bull-horns and send folks in the wrong direction.

Good to here, I've already encountered 'opinions' I didn't really agree with elsewhere but I'm really not going to be too postured about things. This is a new form of riding to me so I'm gonna suck up all the info I can and hopefully apply it. But I already know I need mentoring.

Guitars, well I have more of them than fingers and toes (yes I have all of them..lol). Just about any flavor you can imagine, built quite a few as well (another hobby mine). Played most my life, played clubs @ 15 with rock bands one night and jazz combos with guys old enough to be my grand parents the next. Played the west coast curcuits for a long time (Oakland CA is home) in long hair shredding metal bands till about the early '90's where I got tired of being a starving musician. Been a programmer for many years now and starving far less! :lol:

Thanks for the greet man! ;)

Well that's a pretty decent choice of tracks not too far away. We'll be heading that way soon, the May/June trip is one of my favorites--good time of the year to be riding.

I see CSS is going to be at a couple of them in the coming months, it's something I'd like to do, making it happen is always the difficulty. I have had all of my weekends for years commited to soccer players in the family and usually I know what's coming in the summer, this year I don't for sure other than it'll be more national travel then previously. :huh:

Yes, I was in the sag video, KC, Dylan Code and I.

Seems like there is a bit of interest in riding in that area, I'm surprised you haven't found others near you...I bet if you get teh word out a bit, that will change soon.

Thought so! You supported that kawi very well! ;)

There is A LOT of great twisty roads here, there is also A LOT of totally insane drivers and a fair amount of deer. I lifted the back of the bike just the other day while out working on cornering, 5 deer out of no where! Heart skipped a beat or three. :lol: The more I ride, the more I'm sure I'll encounter locals. So far only a couple gixxer squid kids who aren't going to live very long from what I've seen so far. :(

Thanks for the warm welcome Cobie, look forward to learning from ya.

Good to here, I've already encountered 'opinions' I didn't really agree with elsewhere but I'm really not going to be too postured about things. This is a new form of riding to me so I'm gonna suck up all the info I can and hopefully apply it. But I already know I need mentoring.

Guitars, well I have more of them than fingers and toes (yes I have all of them..lol). Just about any flavor you can imagine, built quite a few as well (another hobby mine). Played most my life, played clubs @ 15 with rock bands one night and jazz combos with guys old enough to be my grand parents the next. Played the west coast curcuits for a long time (Oakland CA is home) in long hair shredding metal bands till about the early '90's where I got tired of being a starving musician. Been a programmer for many years now and starving far less! :lol:

Thanks for the greet man! ;)

That's awesome, I play a little. One of these days I'm going to realize my goal of building an archtop. My brother is an assistant for a producer, he's the pro musician and the one who embraced all the crazy technology they've got for recording these days. Anyways, cheers, enjoy the site.

That's awesome, I play a little. One of these days I'm going to realize my goal of building an archtop. My brother is an assistant for a producer, he's the pro musician and the one who embraced all the crazy technology they've got for recording these days. Anyways, cheers, enjoy the site.

Building an arch is a fairly tall order, I've built my share of solid bodies and I've never attempted it. Not impossible, just a lot more involved. I have a full dedicated digital studio but use it for my own pacifications. My little bro's a fairly well known jazz guy out of Encino, been on a dozen movie sound tracks and more CD's than some people own. To be honest, the music biz just wasn't for me.

Peace! ;)