Anybody Watch The Iom Racing Taking Place?

For brisk street riding, these lads will use what I consider to be the safest riding style. Or posibly the safest riding style, period, since they basically cannot risk falling off. The majority do not hang off much and generally keep their torsos more over the fuel tank that what you typically see on pure race tracks. My guess is that they want to have a fairly strong grip on their bikes over the jumps and bumps, and probably also to be able to see as far as possible through the mostly blind corners.

So, what do you reckon - do they choose this way of riding out of necessity, safety, control or speed? What would be the main issues on a pure race track against this way of riding and why?

For brisk street riding, these lads will use what I consider to be the safest riding style. Or posibly the safest riding style, period, since they basically cannot risk falling off. The majority do not hang off much and generally keep their torsos more over the fuel tank that what you typically see on pure race tracks. My guess is that they want to have a fairly strong grip on their bikes over the jumps and bumps, and probably also to be able to see as far as possible through the mostly blind corners.

So, what do you reckon - do they choose this way of riding out of necessity, safety, control or speed? What would be the main issues on a pure race track against this way of riding and why?

No... dont get hd channels :( the best damn racing and i cant watch :blink:

I think the TT race continues due to tradition. I'd have to think some of the racers -who do on-track racing too- do it for the challenge and prestige... cause winning a TT race is not that common, ya'no.

I think the main issue for a TT race is 100% accuracy --- inch-perfect to the N'th power. Miss your marks by a hair and in the bails you go :o Next would have to be mental stamina; notice that hot chick in reaching distance and you could end up ion her bed -through her wall, that is.

Something that may contribute is that by staying closer to the bike, they can get closer to an apex. I've seen images, particularly of the Macau GP where riders turn their torso upwards to stop their head grinding against the wall on the inside of the turn.

I agree with your comments on keeping a strong hold of the bike. The bumps on a circuit like the TT mean the rider really needs to be stable, and not hanging off so far would help with that.

Haha I forgot where it was but I remember watching a video where the guy was talking about scraping his helmet along a few of the stone walls at 80+mph :lol:. A tight grip is never really a good idea on a motorcycle. A tight grip/forearms makes it much more difficult for accurate counter steering and especially smooth throttle control. A lot of the time a tight grip can also cause head shake which is the reason I used to get head shake a lot on my dirtbike when I first started riding at 9 years old. Its best to hold on with your lower body and be confident the steering damper will do its job.

Riding inchs away from trees (and sometimes clipping them) at some pretty decent speeds is something I've gotten used to with the dirtbike but I don't think I could ever bring myself to going 100% through a corner thats surrounded with walls and hay bails!