Cornering At The Limit And--Oops--Beyond

Hello Folks,

I was reading a car racing book, and they said that when a RACE CAR reaches it's cornering traction limit, it will start to slide then gradually and predictably take a wider line. Their example was going 50 mph on a 100 foot circle at the limits of traction. If you ease the speed up to 51 or 52 mph, then the car will gradually start sliding into a 101-102 foot circle.

So, if I take out the Lean Bike (or maybe it would be the Slide Bike) and start zooming around the same 100 foot circle--well, what do you think (or know) would happen when I reached the bike's limits of traction? Would "it" happen gradually (like when a race car starts to slip) or would it happen all at once (like a nasty high side)? And, of course, if I were to loose traction, what should I do about it?

(I guess I've been watching too many High Side crash videos on YouTube.com, but to my untrained eyes, it looks like most of these high sides were caused by adding too much gas too QUICKLY--probably an over simplification. Maybe I'm trying to make a case for better throttle control.)

Anyway, thanks for playing.

Would "it" happen gradually (like when a race car starts to slip) or would it happen all at once (like a nasty high side)?

That depends entirely on the riders inputs (unless the surface is inconsistent). If you gradually work up to the traction limits in a controlled way then the tires will just start to slip. If you suddenly add throttle or chop the throttle you suddenly overload one of the tires and they suddenly slip out from under you which can result in a high side.

You pretty much answered your own question with the last paragraph. Most high sides are caused by someone adding to much throttle to quickly or adding throttle + lean angle at the same time.

The same applies for cars as well but its a little harder to high side one of those laugh.gif.

As far as drifting wider goes as the tires slip that isn't always the case within certain limits. When the rear of a car or motorcycle slips slightly outside it points the vehicle in the direction of the corner which can actually tighten the line slightly. There is a point where you will start drifting wide though. If you watch Moto GP or GT cars racing you'll notice the rear end is pretty much always sliding slightly exiting corners.

Wow, that sucked--just make a nice long response to 106, and lost it! ERRRRRR!!

OK, short version: sliding in control is obviously possible (even for mere mortals) but requires knowing the techniques well, and then doing them. With correct technique, a nice slide (not a wild highside) is the result. There are a few pieces to this: rider input to the bike, what's he doing with the handlebars? What's the rider doing with his body? And, what's he doing with the throttle to control the slide? All of this has to be coordinated correctly. (the new Slide Bike procedure is much longer than the older one, much more involved).

There is a lot to this, but solid technique will be nice gentle slides to start with. A highside is a slide that then catches, from chopping the throttle and/or tightening on the bars. (Obviously, tons of info on this in Twist 2).

CF