Cornering Sequence

What is the correct sequence when coming into a turn?

Is it like this?

1. Throttle on

2. Set up body position, pinch tank with knees

3. Throttle off

4. Brake/downshift to correct gear for exiting the corner

5. Quick turn

6. Throttle on (just a bit to stabilize the bike?)

7. Bring the bike out of the turn and accelerate

Can one of the instructors correct me on this or add anything?

I know there is a lot more to it than that but this is the condensed version, most of which we covered in Levels 1 & 2.

6 should be: Roll throttle on in a steady continuous motion through the turn.

Yeah, from my own experience at the school you need to slowly or gradually roll on the throttle throughout the corner. I believe I read an article by Andy (school instructor) that says too much throttle, neutral throttle, or letting off the throttle will cause you to run wide. Rolling on the throttle seems reasonable enough to me as we learned in school because leaning over shortens the circumference of the contact patch and scrubbs off speed. In order to maintain or slightly accelerate through, you'll need to roll on the throttle.

I'm not an instructor, but that's all I have to offer in terms of my very limited experience.

Have you been to the school? It's great!

There's a bit more to it then what you listed. Just sticking to level one stuff...

You want to spot your turn point

You want to look into the corner and spot your apex before you turn

You want to try to relax mid corner

Then there's all the level two visual stuff to think of and the level three skills as well. And still more stuff we may go over with you in level four. :)

There's a lot to do in each corner when you think about it. If you were to make a step by step list it would be veeeeerrrryyyyy lllooonnnggg :)

I know there is a lot more to it than that but this is the condensed version, most of which we covered in Levels 1 & 2.

6 should be:? Roll throttle on in a steady continuous motion through the turn.

As I said above, I've only completed Levels 1 & 2.

6 should be:? Roll throttle on in a steady continuous motion through the turn.

As I said above, I've only completed Levels 1 & 2.

Oops! Should've read more thoroughly.

There's a lot to do in each corner when you think about it.

I thought we were supposed to "do nothing"? J/K. :D

But seriously, I remember reading the whole bit about throttle on, throttle off, brakes on, brakes off, shift, look at turn in point, etc.... I understand it's a long list but when we're physically out there on the track practicing what we have learned are we supposed to turn these "sequences" into habit? And once these skills become habit what do you focus on next? Lines?

Nope, your line was the first order of business. You can't have all those markers if you don't know what line you're aiming for.

If you can do all that and still have brain power to focus on other things, you're either the top rider in the country, or you're just not going very fast... It should just about take all your focus.

If not, you can always plan for dinner ;)

Nope, your line was the first order of business. You can't have all those markers if you don't know what line you're aiming for.

If you can do all that and still have brain power to focus on other things, you're either the top rider in the country, or you're just not going very fast... It should just about take all your focus.

If not, you can always plan for dinner ;)

Turn in points (which were marked off at school) and lines are different. I can turn into the corner at the same point every time and carry almost a different line every single time depending on the speed of my entry and how quickly I can get the bike turned over and where I decide I want my apex to be. A good example I can think of is the bowl at the Streets of Willow. We were all turning in at the yellow "X" on the ground but I can recall passing some people on the inside and seeing everyone in front of me on a slightly different line.

I believe the turn in points were not there to determine our line, but I believe they were there to address the problem of inconsistent turn-in points and early turn-in. I saw many people taking different lines but we were all obviously turning in at the marker set for us.