Level 1 And 2 In My Future!

Hi Everyone!

Went to my first track day on a whim with my 2000 Honda VFR (sport touring bike) in September, and you know the rest. 5 track days later, a new (for me) 07 CBR 600rr track bike, and a wife wondering what the hell has gotten into me and why we don't hang out on weekends anymore blink.gif

I also realized I have no idea what I am doing out there, so got Twist 3 dvd and starting applying some of the concepts, but the fact is I have always been someone who needs to be "Shown", not "Told". Just signed for Level 1 and 2 at NJMP May 8th and 9th. biggrin.gif

Questions

1. Any advice on how to prepare for the school?

2. Biggest thing the track day coaches (who are great by the way) have told me is to tighten up my apexes. I don't know how to do that. I am 3 feet or more away from those cones. I am afraid I am going to run off the track. I've been told I have decent throttle control (the one thing I tried to work on after watching twist 3), but can't figure out this apex/line thing, will level 1 and 2 address that?

3. Going to do a couple of track days before the school, any area I should focus on?

I can't wait to go to school!! It's going to be a long winter <sigh> See you in May!

Here's me on track day #3 at NJMP

And track day #6 at Summit Main

Comments, criticisms WELCOME.

1. Any advice on how to prepare for the school?

2. Biggest thing the track day coaches (who are great by the way) have told me is to tighten up my apexes. I don't know how to do that. I am 3 feet or more away from those cones. I am afraid I am going to run off the track. I've been told I have decent throttle control (the one thing I tried to work on after watching twist 3), but can't figure out this apex/line thing, will level 1 and 2 address that?

3. Going to do a couple of track days before the school, any area I should focus on?

Comments, criticisms WELCOME.

captmarc;

Your prep with Twist DVD is a really good start but don't overlook the two Twist of the Wrist books. There is so much more detail and theory in these two volumns that you should look into getting these as well. If you have watched the DVD yet you'll see that the Twist II book is included in the storyline.

Reading them is a great way to endure the next four months of waiting before we can track ride again. FWIW, the Twist I & II are like reference books in that many of us read and reread and then reread them over and over again; there is so much detail that it is hard to absorb it all at once. They are also written in a way that allow you to go back and find one or two items that you need to work on so treat these like you would a good friend - because they will become so for as long as you ride a motorcycle.

Learning the line of a track will be part of your experience. Not it a direct way as a coach saying "follow me and I'll show you the line"; it will be a series of of steps that they teach you to help you understand how to find your way around the track in the most efficient way possible. There will be some on track visual aids that only the Superbike School uses (to my knowledge) so you will definitely improve in this area - no question. If your throttle control is decent now it will become even better.

Your question on areas to focus on at your upcoming track days is tricky; tricky because you could be reinforcing poor techniques that are either self taugh or the result of a club instructor who may or may not know know what they are talking about - DAMHIK. You may need to unlearn a few things before you can move forward and that is something I know about personally. Regardless, you have made a wise choice to invest in training IMHO because much of what is needed to ride a bike at speed is so counter intuitative that we need to learn techniques to overcome our natural instincts for survival.

...you're right; it is going to be a long winter!

Rainman

Cheers Rainman,

I will pick those books up right away. Really looking forward to the school, thinking I might sign up for Lev 3 as well in Sept. Is it common for people to repeat these levels after they have taken them?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

We'll see you there, come say hello!

Cobie