Change Bikes?

I currently own a 2008 GSX-R 600, but still find myself going into the local dealerships to "browse" at the other bikes they have. The Yamaha dealership I frequently visit is currently offering some good deals with some of the bikes they have for sale as well as some good rates as far as financing goes. One of the bikes was the R-6, which I have always liked. The other was a 2010 R-1 which they are offering for about the same price as the R-6's. I feel though that the R-1 may be a bit too much bike for me. So my question is, what do others here on this forum think? Should I make the switch to an R-6? or even the R-1? Or should I just stay with what I have? The Suzuki is the only sportbike I have ever owned so I don't have anything to compare it to. How do u all compare the R-6 to the GSX-R 600? Or even any 600cc with a liter bike. Obviously the liter bike has more power, but what other pros/cons is there between the two size bikes? Thanks!

Hi Ozzy,

So, I don't think you're alone in facing this dilema, is the curse of riding a fast bike and having a pulse, there is always something new, shiny and bling to tempt you to part with your cash. :lol:

So, you didn't talk much about what type of rider you are, or where you ride, so have you been riding only a year or so, or 10 years plus? do you lots of miles, or just the occasional blast? Do you ride on track much, not at all? What kind of riding do you enjoy? What training have you done, how comfortable do you feel with your GSXR-600, well capable of managing it, or still a little intimidated by it? Whilst these may all seem like a lot of involved, considered questions, they're questions I'd ask myself (as a starter), before parting with my cash.

So, now to my own experience, as I'm fortunate enough to have ridden all these bikes, the Yam's a lot as we use them in the UK for school. So in my experience, the GSXR is a little more road biased over the Yam R6, which is an absolute joy on track, though you have to rip the absolutle nuts of it to really get it to go. I'd suggest that whilst the R6 is amazing on track, the GSXR600 is probably a little (read marginally) more comfortable, enjoyable road bike, so work this into your answers. I'd say the R6 is a much sharper looking bike than the GSXR though, if that comes into your consideration.

So, onto the R1. Well, I have to say, it sort of provides me with a polar view really. I love riding it, it has an amazing engine, and the motor is without doubt the star of the show. the feeling from the throttle to the rear wheel is incredibly good, and it has lots of mid range and revs very well too. the brakes are excellent, and the chassis has potential, though is sold with quite underwhelming bouncy pieces either end. the shock is terrible, and the fork internals could do with an upgrade too. That aisde though, in the riding department, big enjoyment. Looks, well, terrible to my eye, especially with those standard cans, but I don't have to look at it too often, just the clocks and controls. :D

Now, probably the most pertinent point/question I guess. A litre bike is very OTT in my opnion for the road. Sure, they're easy to ride these days, and they're really very easy to ride just like there 600 cousins, but I find the need for 180Bhp on the road all a little moot really. How often do you ever get the chance to use all of your 600? Well, imagine that with 40% more power and you'll be able to see how often you'll ever be able to get that near it's power limit too.

So there you have it, quite a dilema indeed, they're all amazing bikes, and the 600's are very similiar really, and if it were my money, I'd probably stick with your GSXR until you're sure you really wanted to upgrade. The Yamaha's are better made in my opinion, and whilst not quite Honda quality, are very well made these days and R1 aside, look very sharp indeed.

Any other questions, please ask, though i doubt this has really change your desires much, has it really. LOL

Bullet

Hi Ozzy,

but I find the need for 180Bhp on the road all a little moot really. How often do you ever get the chance to use all of your 600? Well, imagine that with 40% more power and you'll be able to see how often you'll ever be able to get that near it's power limit too.

Bullet

Well, Bullet, here in America we have awesome highways, with 4 -5 lanes which can accomodate 180bhp of a litre bike. Of course it is the utmost irresponsible thing to do, ripping up America's highways and blatantly breaking all the speed limit laws. If one should chose to indulge in reckless street riding and political incorrectness, do so at your own risk. Preferably on a liter bike. smile.gif

Hi Ozzy,

So, I don't think you're alone in facing this dilema, is the curse of riding a fast bike and having a pulse, there is always something new, shiny and bling to tempt you to part with your cash. laugh.gif

So, you didn't talk much about what type of rider you are, or where you ride, so have you been riding only a year or so, or 10 years plus? do you lots of miles, or just the occasional blast? Do you ride on track much, not at all? What kind of riding do you enjoy? What training have you done, how comfortable do you feel with your GSXR-600, well capable of managing it, or still a little intimidated by it? Whilst these may all seem like a lot of involved, considered questions, they're questions I'd ask myself (as a starter), before parting with my cash.

So, now to my own experience, as I'm fortunate enough to have ridden all these bikes, the Yam's a lot as we use them in the UK for school. So in my experience, the GSXR is a little more road biased over the Yam R6, which is an absolute joy on track, though you have to rip the absolutle nuts of it to really get it to go. I'd suggest that whilst the R6 is amazing on track, the GSXR600 is probably a little (read marginally) more comfortable, enjoyable road bike, so work this into your answers. I'd say the R6 is a much sharper looking bike than the GSXR though, if that comes into your consideration.

So, onto the R1. Well, I have to say, it sort of provides me with a polar view really. I love riding it, it has an amazing engine, and the motor is without doubt the star of the show. the feeling from the throttle to the rear wheel is incredibly good, and it has lots of mid range and revs very well too. the brakes are excellent, and the chassis has potential, though is sold with quite underwhelming bouncy pieces either end. the shock is terrible, and the fork internals could do with an upgrade too. That aisde though, in the riding department, big enjoyment. Looks, well, terrible to my eye, especially with those standard cans, but I don't have to look at it too often, just the clocks and controls. biggrin.gif

Now, probably the most pertinent point/question I guess. A litre bike is very OTT in my opnion for the road. Sure, they're easy to ride these days, and they're really very easy to ride just like there 600 cousins, but I find the need for 180Bhp on the road all a little moot really. How often do you ever get the chance to use all of your 600? Well, imagine that with 40% more power and you'll be able to see how often you'll ever be able to get that near it's power limit too.

So there you have it, quite a dilema indeed, they're all amazing bikes, and the 600's are very similiar really, and if it were my money, I'd probably stick with your GSXR until you're sure you really wanted to upgrade. The Yamaha's are better made in my opinion, and whilst not quite Honda quality, are very well made these days and R1 aside, look very sharp indeed.

Any other questions, please ask, though i doubt this has really change your desires much, has it really. LOL

Bullet

Thanks guys for your input. Bullet, you are right, it really hasn't changed the fact that I still drool over them when I go in tongue.gif. As far as track time, I don't have any. All my time has been strictly street riding. I plan on attending Level I & II this coming April. So that would be the first formal training that I will get. I have been riding for about four years. A Yamaha Raider S cruiser and the GSX-R. I feel really comfortable on the Suzuki. Not really intimidated, but at the same time don't think that I've outgrown it.

You bring up a good point about it possibly being over the top. I'm sure there are times on the highway that I could open it up, but they are pretty few and far between. Plus, would probably end up costing me some money blink.gif. So maybe I will just stick with what I got for now, unless someone on here can tell me something about the CBR's that would make me want to look there. biggrin.gif Thanks again!

Ozzy