Chuckwalla Valley Raceway 12/4.

Quick write-up on Chuckwalla Valley Raceway (CVR).

I've done CVR 3 times now. I've done it clockwise, counter-clockwise, then clockwise again. My first time doing CVR was frustrating. I'd done Firebird East, West, Main and the Vegas infield course. They're all fun but small tracks. I wasn't used to elevation changes, banked, or off-camber turns. I was on Inde once before CVR and it's a proper track, but I'd only done it once. It's nothing like Chuckwalla. It's not as fast. So I've had a lot to get used to.

I think my last (counter-clockwise) excursion onto CVR got me comfortable on a large track like the new one's around here (Arizona). It was a left heavy turn that allowed me to get used to carrying speed around a track that was over twice as long as any I've ridden. Then I re-enforced it with a clockwise day Saturday.

I've been around the track numerous times (three no sessions days), but just this last time I figured out the off-camber turn. Flick the !!!!!!! out of the bike. Plenty of people overrun it because nobody is used to a slant like this. It's a normal looking turn that, if you turn at normal speed, is going to shoot you off the track with an emphatic "How many times have you done this that you still haven't figured me out?" I was going REALLY wide entering the turn on the counter day to compensate for this, but on Saturday I realized what I needed to do to get it right.

The bank is HUGE!!! Now this takes some getting used to. I was treating it like a normal turn, but once I started picking up my speed around this track, I found out how insanely fun a bank is. I was sitting up, braking, turning into it. Wrong. After watching other bikes BLOW by me, I ended up staying over the tank and slowly using less braking. After a while I was getting off the gas MAYBE a little if I got good enough drive out of the corner before it, but most of the time just went to static throttle going in and leaning. The faster riders/racers are still going to pass me on the outside, but that only happens a couple of times a day now. I'm dying to get back and getting upside down in that corner. It's become a favorite passing spot of mine because so many riders haven't figured it out.

CVR is a track that rewards aggressiveness. When I didn't quite realize it, I wasn't such a fan of CVR. But hauling into the corners being comfortable carrying huge speed has gotten me comfortable and excited about going back. Yes, if you overshoot, you're going to need a passport to get back to the US once you've stopped, but there is plenty of over-run in every spot I've shot off so far.

The one thing about the no sessions trackdays hosted by So-Cal Trackdays is that they aren't very safe. Anything from one of the corner workers having his red flag draped over his perch to leave you wondering every time you go by, to parts being left on the track for half the day. There is NO communication between these guys and the riders either on the track or the pits and you can go up to 3 turns in a row without a corner-worker being present. And I'm not talking about three corners that can safely be watched by others. There is no tech inspection. If you've ever sat around and watched a tech inspector send people back, you'd be surprised to see what riders either don't know about their bikes, or what they try to get away with.

If you find another trackday sponsor or want to brave the no-sessions, I'd say CVR is definitely worth the trip if you're close enough, even if you add it to your track trip list once a year, if you're close enough. I've grown more fond of it every time I go. I've even met John Hilton out there and pitted next to Lex Hartl out there. Big bonus.

Hey Jason, good write up. I know what you mean about So Cal Track Days. I have been riding with those guys for a very long time, since they started out at Pahrump. I love the no sessions format, but they do have some safety issues to work out, no doubt.

I can't wait to ride that track. I'm headed out there 1/22 and 1/23 to ride with Track Daz and I'm looking forward to learning a new track. Maybe I'll see you there one of these days :)

Hey Jason, good write up. I know what you mean about So Cal Track Days. I have been riding with those guys for a very long time, since they started out at Pahrump. I love the no sessions format, but they do have some safety issues to work out, no doubt.

I can't wait to ride that track. I'm headed out there 1/22 and 1/23 to ride with Track Daz and I'm looking forward to learning a new track. Maybe I'll see you there one of these days :)

You're going to love it, Stu. I may go out 1/8 because I love no sessions too much. If you go out for the races I'll definitely see you. I have a friend who is going to race out there.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick write-up on Chuckwalla Valley Raceway (CVR).

The bank is HUGE!!! Now this takes some getting used to. I was treating it like a normal turn, but once I started picking up my speed around this track, I found out how insanely fun a bank is. I was sitting up, braking, turning into it. Wrong. After watching other bikes BLOW by me, I ended up staying over the tank and slowly using less braking. After a while I was getting off the gas MAYBE a little if I got good enough drive out of the corner before it, but most of the time just went to static throttle going in and leaning. The faster riders/racers are still going to pass me on the outside, but that only happens a couple of times a day now. I'm dying to get back and getting upside down in that corner. It's become a favorite passing spot of mine because so many riders haven't figured it out...

If you find another trackday sponsor or want to brave the no-sessions, I'd say CVR is definitely worth the trip if you're close enough, even if you add it to your track trip list...

I love the track - what I typically do is skip some morning time by hanging in the RV, then enjoying the unpopulated afternoon. I get to work on my learned CSS Skills. The footage I like best starts at about 5:40. The techniques I learned at CSS helped me learn 8-9-10 ( or 10-9-8) :)

hey jason,

i have done cvr back in june just a few weeks after if opened, first weekend of june. bout 105 that day. very hot but loved the track. i rented one of the trailers and had somewhere to cool off in between sessions.

was 100 bucks and split it with a buddy. we had plenty of room night before. nice to wake up and be on track.

took me couple laps to get used to the two blind turns.(clockwise) but once i got it down, it was a blast. been doing fontana for a long time but cvr is way better. longer drive for me but well worth it.

07gixxer750, elka rear, resprung/revalved front, bridgestone 003 race,190 rear.

cant wait to go back!!

know john hilton well, he is very fast. always at top of the charts at fontana. ride with him on ortega as well.

good guy.

good teacher.

Stuman,

I may be there that weekend. Look for a whit Chev truck and fifth wheel. I ride a blk ZX6r

John Dwulet