Short-Action Throttle Kit

I've just ordered one of these for my bike and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?

For those that don't know, they reduce the amount of movement needed to turn the throttle round from closed to fully open, I think this takes it from around 70 degrees to about 60 on my bike.

I don't know if it's just poor technique on my part since I learnt, or what, but in order to use full throttle, I have to reach my hand further round the throttle and I find that I have much less sensitivity at low thottle openings when I do that, so not ideal when rolling on the throttle in a corner. So I find that I'll keep my wrist in the regular position and limit my speed down the straight as I need to roll-off in order to then grab more throttle.

I tried teaching myself more sensitivity in order to be able to have the full range of travel available, but would always find my hand returning to its natural position. I think braking plays a part in this too, as if my hand position doesn't lend itself easily to grabbing the brake, then I don't think it's ever going to feel right.

Hence buying the shorter action throttle kit, I know that I'm going to have to be a bit more sensitive in general now as any previous level of movement will effectively be magnified, but at least I won't be forcing my hand and wrist into an awkward position that doesn't feel comfortable.

I'll report back with my findings once I've had a chance to try it out for a while, I'm fully expecting it to feel like someone has just added another 50 horsepower to the bike to start with though.

I've just ordered one of these for my bike and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?

Steve,

I DIY'ed an insert* to the throttle to make a short-action throttle on my trackbike for the very same reasons. I have so far found no ill effects, but I could actually use an even shorter action throttle since I have to make a conscious effort to attain WFO.

*) I used a piece of plastic tubing that I sliced it up, grinded a bit at the ends and glued it to the standard throttle to increase the diameter.

Kai

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this fitted just over a week now and here are my thoughts. I too believe that it could be a bit shorter still, it's not a massive difference from how it was before, but I can reach full throttle without dislocating my wrist now. It certainly isn't the hair-trigger response I was a bit worried it might be. Only downside I've noticed thus far is it's a little bit trickier to keep the throttle set at an exact speed, i.e. for 30mph speed limits.

I'm glad I've fitted it and I'm looking forward to giving it a proper test at a track at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Yoyodyne makes a quick turn throttle that has several variations. I have a CBR1000RR so I use the HRC quick turn throttle. Yeah they work great! I wish mine had a shorter throw.

I think I too could do with a slightly shorter throw, maybe lose another 10 degrees of travel and it would be perfect. That said, I did look down and was doing 150 on the way to work the other morning, where I'd perhaps hit 120 when riding enthusiastically before, so maybe it's safer how it is! laugh.gif

i use an Active quick action on my zx10r so far ive had no ill effects from it infact i'd prob say its the best mod ive done to it, it comes with 3 diffrent sized cogs to fit to which i had to have the biggest one :D its now about a 1/4 of what it use to be even in 30mph limits i still find it very easy to use, id def recommend getting one to anyone who was thinking about it

• 1 month later...

Archived