Cadwell Crash

teg

hello all and thanks in advance

had a run out last week at cadwell and improved my lap times quite a bit helped by lifting my rear sets and bullets mountain advice ( he will be sorely missed on here ) . anyway what was a great day unfortunately ended in a big crash at charlies 1 the first right after you go up the hill after the start finish straight .

this is 4th gear for me after a roll off no brake and a long trail in b-4 get back to the gas on my 1999 r6 .

i was on a well worn 209 gp racer rear .i had only had about 3 other small slides all day .

1 of these slides was in exactly the same spot as the crash the lap b-4 ! ( i should have listened to what it was telling me i guess )now unusually for me the rear slid slightly b-4 i got back to the gas i just stood bike up a bit b-4 carrying on and not thinking to much of it ....

until next lap same place except this time i low sided afer the rear slid out b-4 sliding a long way and getting tangled with the bike and it flipped over the top of me as i hit the grass ( i couldnt kick it away but remember pushing past my head with both hands ) so i was lucky to get away with black eye and battered and bruised and no breaks ) - note to myself when i go down let go of the bars sooner............

anyway i wanted to get opinions on the reason for crash (obviously my fault) my theory is of course the rear tyre was a factor but was o.k elsewhere on the lap ( i guess it will start to go somewhere first )

i think i could have held on to it if i had rolled on slightly at a sooner spot and stood it up (maybe i did this too the lap b-4 but can,t b sureafter bump on the head ) as i think the rear was too unweighted for too long .........?? and started to slide - i think this caught me out as was a lot higher speed than my usual little slide moments which are nearly all at exit as i,m rolling on .......

no one following and the photographer missed it but the corner marshalls said they were expecting me the lap b-4 as they saw that slide too ..

attached some pre crash pics in student success woo hoo,s section .

cheers teg .

When you say "corner marshalls said they were expecting me the lap b-4 as they saw that slide too .." do you mean that they were expecting you to crash because they had noticed you sliding? If so did any of them offer and ideas? Did anyone who say your tire offer any input as to it's wear being excessive?

I hope you can get some idea of the cause, not knowing is the worst. I recently had a mid corner lowside but it was on the street and when I got up I was covered in the oil that was spread throughout the corner courtesy of god knows who, so there was no question what caused my accident (just what I could have done had I seen it).

they were saying that they thought i was going to crash when i slid the previous lap but it didn,t feel to bad on the bike , i suppose what they knew was if i did go down it was going to be a pretty quick place to go off .

i know what you mean about not knowing hence this post , but i,m still thinking along the lines mentioned above as being the cause (me mainly..)

Were you on the gas or off when you had the little slide? Closed or trailing throttle? Sounds a bit odd to slide the rear off the gas, sounds like it was never going to give you a lot of grip - fluid, low pressure, knackered, that sort of thing. Did the marshalls see you sliding or were they referring to your riding style?

Were you on the gas or off when you had the little slide? Closed or trailing throttle? Sounds a bit odd to slide the rear off the gas, sounds like it was never going to give you a lot of grip - fluid, low pressure, knackered, that sort of thing. Did the marshalls see you sliding or were they referring to your riding style?

hello mate

no the marshalls weren,t refering to the riding style they were refering to the slide i had in the same place the lap b-4 but stood it up and continued ..

the rear tyre was well worn but o.k elsewhere on the circuit apart from the slide same place previous lap ..

i agree sounds odd to slide off the gas - i can,t be 100% as had a bit of a bump on the head but i,m pretty sure i recall this being on a trailing throttle here b-4 i got back to the gas , which makes me think if i was trailing it too long , which i,ve not had b-4 from the rear .. there are some small bumps here on track too but not particularly bad ...

The pressures and all fluids seem o.k ..

You didn't feel anything unpleasant coming out of Barn?

no mate didn,t feel anything unplesant and seemed to be getting pretty good drive out of here .

Very tricky one. All I can think of is perhaps you were getting the gas open too early. From what I can remember, where you crashed is a decent enough bend but tightens up a little as you head into the next part, so maybe you were starting your drive before you reached maximum lean. Barn is the other classic place for a rear slide, it's better than it was but still a bit off-camber and the lure of the start/finish straight (song of the sausage creature) has led many into the scenery. I reckon if it was a bike problem you'd have felt something there. No easy answer - if you do the pick-up out of Barn you'd be less on the shoulder of the tyre as going through Charlies so maybe the very edge is just too worn and that combined with lean and throttle. Only a guess of course!

Very tricky one. All I can think of is perhaps you were getting the gas open too early. From what I can remember, where you crashed is a decent enough bend but tightens up a little as you head into the next part, so maybe you were starting your drive before you reached maximum lean. Barn is the other classic place for a rear slide, it's better than it was but still a bit off-camber and the lure of the start/finish straight (song of the sausage creature) has led many into the scenery. I reckon if it was a bike problem you'd have felt something there. No easy answer - if you do the pick-up out of Barn you'd be less on the shoulder of the tyre as going through Charlies so maybe the very edge is just too worn and that combined with lean and throttle. Only a guess of course!

a tricky 1 indeed ! hence the post like i say i,m pretty sure i hadn,t got back to the gas yet which makes this a really unusual crash for me ,

there are some bumps just b-4 apex here which could have contributed maybe i was just carrying a bit more corner speed than previous but again i didn,t think so .. i know what you mean about barn i try and be cautious and use pick up drill (see pre crash pics in woo hoo,s ,ego section)anyone else gone down here in a similair fashion ?

i,m still theorising the opposite in that i was rolled off to long in (4th gear) and the rear got too light , but any other thoughts welcome , i wish had on vid but no pics either sorry ...

Archived