What Caused This?

faffi

Hi Eirik

How old are his tyres and how long had you been riding?

My only guess is new / cold tyres. I'm probably only saying that because both my crashes have been on new tyres that I had thought to be scrubbed in only to find otherwise!

All the best

Ollie

Tyres are likely a couple of seasons old, came with the bike and little worn. Fully scrubbed in, though. We had been riding for a couple of hours, but had stopped for about 40 minutes prior to the spill, which happened after roughly 4 minutes of riding again. Bike had sat in the sun, temps around 18C.

Road was dry, but lots of rubber left by thousands of cars squeeling through the turn. Could, of course, also have been a minor trace of oil or diesel mixed in.

Hard to say on that one as it could be any number of things. Thought at first you were talking about the camera-rider going really wide on the previous hairpin. The sun seems to block out what he does when he falls, but he's leant over fairly far and probably just a bit too much gas and slippery surface/new tyres as suggested above. Could also be that the bike slips on the white line at the inner edge of the corner or he grinds something hard out like one of the pegs and it catches.

How long does it take to scrub in new tires? I've always heard 50 miles. Of course, if you lean over farther than ever before, aren't you suddenly riding on "new," slippery rubber? I'm asking because I just put new ties on my scoot and don't want to fall down.

Well, the silly bugger that fell off was me :unsure:

What puzzles me is that it seems the bike is already lifted up noticeably before I go down v-e-r-y fast. Before I saw the movie I expected I'd been giving it throttle at max lean, but it doesn't appear to be the case :blink: It still happened so fast I didn't even have time to react at all. Stupid thing is that I had just bragged about loving slow corners because there would be time to put a foot down and save it in case of a slide, something I've done many times over the years.

I knew the moment I unexpectedly hit the ground that I had hurt my right hand - the carpometacarpal joint had been dislocated. After righting the bike and picking up the mirror remains, I pushed the bones back into place, but it kept dislocating. This was Thursday two weeks ago. I rode a further 160m mi. that day and the final150 mi. back home the following day.

Luxation of the joint would take no effort at all, so the hand and wrist was wrapped in plaster. Still it would luxate. However, after a week it simply stopped and the planned operation was cancelled. The doctors couldn't explain what could possibly fix such an injury by itself in such a short time, but I'm not complaining :lol:

Rear tyre is som Dunlop dual-purpose tyre, front is a similar Pirelli. Yes, I did use more lean than usual and also my cornering speed around them bends were pretty high (for me) as I'm more of a point and aim sort of a rider than trying to maintain a high-ish cornering speed. But it felt good and safe - until it stopped feeling either :(

If I had fallen off near max lean, which actually I thought I had, I would have understood perfectly, because I was definitely asking a little bit of the tyres by then, especially considering their design.

Oh, well. At least I have proof I cannot ride :P

Hard to say on that one as it could be any number of things. Thought at first you were talking about the camera-rider going really wide on the previous hairpin. The sun seems to block out what he does when he falls, but he's leant over fairly far and probably just a bit too much gas and slippery surface/new tyres as suggested above. Could also be that the bike slips on the white line at the inner edge of the corner or he grinds something hard out like one of the pegs and it catches.

Forgot to mention the sidestand had made a clear furrow in the asphalt for perhaps 6 metres / 20 ft, but there was distance between this and where I went down. Still, it could of course have set the whole thing off.

Too much gas? I can clearly hear throttle, followed by what sounds like a high rev of the engine, meaning the rear went out. The position of the bike (guessing it landed on the left hand side and spun into the ditch) helps me think this. Sorry about the hand.

At least the hand is mending well, thank you :)

Yes, too much throttle too early is the likely culprit and what I had concluded on before seeing the movie. The only thing weird for me is that the bike seems pretty upright before it goes down. And yes, it did fall on its left and spun.

Archived