Rebound?

I ride a 2009 FZ1 and weigh about 95kg. 100% of my riding is on the street and canyon carving....no race track. I've set my static sag and the compression....but rebound is giving me some issues. I'm hoping someone can provide some advice.

Can someone please explain the best method for setting rebound in the front forks?

Does rebound always have to be softer (faster) that compression?

Should front and rear rebound be similar?

Thanks in advance.

I ride a 2009 FZ1 and weigh about 95kg. 100% of my riding is on the street and canyon carving....no race track. I've set my static sag and the compression....but rebound is giving me some issues. I'm hoping someone can provide some advice.

Can someone please explain the best method for setting rebound in the front forks?

Does rebound always have to be softer (faster) that compression?

Should front and rear rebound be similar?

Thanks in advance.

PK,

I would recommend that you watch some of Dave Moss' shows (On The Throttle) on ustream.tv and/or youtube - he explains how suspension works in (great) detail.

My question to you, though, is: what are the issues you are experiencing with rebound?

Rebound does not always have to be softer than compression. However, if the rebound stroke is (a lot) slower than the compression stroke, the suspension can "pack up" - ie the suspension doesn't have time to fully extend (rebound) between each compression 'hit' so the travel is gradually used up over several compressions which then leads to bottoming the suspension. This problem can become worse as you start to ride quicker.

The best way I know of to set up a suspension is to ride a piece of road that you know well and is representative of what/how you ride several times, and making small changes (1-2 clicks) between each ride. How does each setting feel? - if you like a change you made (say, 2 clicks out), do it again on the next run. Keep doing it until you don't like the latest change. Then go backwards 1 click at a time until you find the setting you like the best.

Hope this helps,

Kai

Rebound damping is typically 4-5 times "heavier" than compression damping. Some feel that you barely need any compression damping, that the spring should be about the only thing to resist upward movement. Others prefer softer springs and a significant amount of compression damping. Both can work, but some compression damping is required to calm things down a bit.

Rebound also depend on the way you ride, road condition, weight and spring strength. Basically, you want as little rebound damping as possible without suffering pogoing over bumps. You do not want so much rebound that your suspension packs down over repetitive bumps. In my experience, finding a good base setting is best done with moderate damping over a piece of bumpy tarmac. I start at the middle settings for a couple of runs to get a feeling for the thing. Then I go half way between the mid point and full stiff, and repeat, followed by going to half way between full soft and the middle point. This will usually send me in the right direction, telling me if I need more or less rebound than the middle settings. I then keep narrowing it down as long as I have options to go halfway - in the end I will have a setting that should work pretty well. I then ride it on the road and see how I like it. I generally try to find a setting that makes it feel like the tyre is following the road without chatter/skipping, but firm enough that I can feel what's going on down where tyre meets road.

There are, however, a number of ways to discover the best settings for you. A search on google should give you plenty to read. Or you could buy Kevin Cameron's book on superbike technology, or what it's called.

Archived