Jennings This Weekend Dunlop Vs Bridgestone

Dear Dunlop,

I was at Jennings this weekend to wake myself from hibernation. Saturday morning was chilly with the first ride around the track around 40F. I was using the Dunlop NTEC made in America slicks. As the sun beat down and the temperatures crept upward I manage to pull out a 1.23 lap time. This is the best I have ever done at Jennings. I noticed by lunch of the second day that I was starting to lose a little rear grip and the front was getting chewed up a bit. The guy next to me in the paddock was starting to get his mojo going so I decided to change to a set of wheels that had Bridgestone slicks already mounted. There was a difference in size as the Bridges were 190/70/17 120/70/17 and the Dunlops were 200/65/17 and 125/80/17.

I got a good warm up lap and started to notice that I didn't have the rear grip I had on the Dunlops. I had so much wheel spin out of 13 I thought I would run out of track. Turn one wasn't much better and I could forget getting the power on in the short shoots. What is the issue here? Is it geometry? Is it suspension? Is it tire?

Dear Dunlop,

I was at Jennings this weekend to wake myself from hibernation. Saturday morning was chilly with the first ride around the track around 40F. I was using the Dunlop NTEC made in America slicks. As the sun beat down and the temperatures crept upward I manage to pull out a 1.23 lap time. This is the best I have ever done at Jennings. I noticed by lunch of the second day that I was starting to lose a little rear grip and the front was getting chewed up a bit. The guy next to me in the paddock was starting to get his mojo going so I decided to change to a set of wheels that had Bridgestone slicks already mounted. There was a difference in size as the Bridges were 190/70/17 120/70/17 and the Dunlops were 200/65/17 and 125/80/17.

I got a good warm up lap and started to notice that I didn't have the rear grip I had on the Dunlops. I had so much wheel spin out of 13 I thought I would run out of track. Turn one wasn't much better and I could forget getting the power on in the short shoots. What is the issue here? Is it geometry? Is it suspension? Is it tire?

You are comparing a very high performing tire to a lesser performing tire, then asking why the lower performing tire did not work.

Ask yourself what tire gave you the best lap time, and use that. Asking any further will turn you into a tire engineer for Bridgestone and you will forever try to make the Bridgestone as good as the Dunlop. Simple as a that.

Steve,

Speaking of tires, I just purchased my second set of Q2’s for my 04 CBR1000rr. I was happy with the last set for road and some track. The center seems to have worn out a bit peculiar I was wondering if it was due to my tire pressure. What would you recommend I use?

CBR1000rr with 200lb rider

Was running

Street- 35R/39F

Track-33R/33F

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Steve,

Speaking of tires, I just purchased my second set of Q2's for my 04 CBR1000rr. I was happy with the last set for road and some track. The center seems to have worn out a bit peculiar I was wondering if it was due to my tire pressure. What would you recommend I use?

CBR1000rr with 200lb rider

Was running

Street- 35R/39F

Track-33R/33F

Thanks

Hmm... Maybe you can call me and we can resolve it. I am not sure what Peculiar wear looks like to you. Call me, I will help you.

Archived