Tyre Wear Suspension Or Pressure Problems?

Hi guys,

If possible I would greatly appreciate some help sorting out my tyre wear. Bit of background, new bike havent set sag yet too lazy i guess, never used slicks before and not ridden this bike on track. Bridgestone YCX slicks, sorry DUNLOP RTS they came witht the bike. Tyre pressures set to front 30 rear 28 hot off the warmer as suggested by the track tyre dude. Heres some pictures to help explain. For the rear I'm thinking shock rebound problem and over inflated and the front I'm not sure about apart from the late braking and trailing the brake.

Or my tyres are knackered and I need new ones :) pics are a bit big only take a second to load and reduce

REAR TYRE

post-15771-0-46759100-1326865595_thumb.jpg

FRONT TYRES

post-15771-0-14103700-1326865669_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance

Dylan

Hi guys,

If possible I would greatly appreciate some help sorting out my tyre wear. Bit of background, new bike havent set sag yet too lazy i guess, never used slicks before and not ridden this bike on track. Bridgestone YCX slicks, sorry DUNLOP RTS they came witht the bike. Tyre pressures set to front 30 rear 28 hot off the warmer as suggested by the track tyre dude. Heres some pictures to help explain. For the rear I'm thinking shock rebound problem and over inflated and the front I'm not sure about apart from the late braking and trailing the brake.

Or my tyres are knackered and I need new ones :) pics are a bit big only take a second to load and reduce

REAR TYRE

post-15771-0-46759100-1326865595_thumb.jpg

FRONT TYRES

post-15771-0-14103700-1326865669_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance

Dylan

#1 You did the right thing asking the local tire guy the pressures.

#2 Your statement that you have not set the sag (and most likley nothing else on the suspension) indicates that this is something that needs to be done. So why are you concerned about tires at this point? Handle the suspension before asking about your tires.

#3 Just because the bike comes with one tire brand does not mean you must keep with that tire brand. Pick the tire you are going to use and then setup to that. Why consume your time setting up for one tire only to change. If you want to just burn up that tire because you don't want to waste it, fine, but don't go chasing some setup only to change the tires after you find it.

#4 You never mentioned you lap times compared to a track record time (just for comparison). If you were going 30 sec off the pace, there would no reason to make changes, but if you were much closer to the record you could gauge your changes to determine if it was better or worse. When you throw a pic up here without adequate backup data and information you are not helping yourself to really resolve the problem.

#5 The tires actually look fine. Why are you concerned? did you have a traction problem?

#6 You (and every other rider), needs to consult their local suspension guy, directly and face to face. Suspension tuning on the internet or on a forum is a but counter productive. If you are concerned enough about your setup, or going fast enough for it to make a difference, you really need to be working directly with someone on this issue.

#2 Your statement that you have not set the sag (and most likley nothing else on the suspension) indicates that this is something that needs to be done. So why are you concerned about tires at this point? Handle the suspension before asking about your tires.

I was mainly concered about the tyres as I had never used slicks before and observed the wear to be different to my road tyres. The original owner was of a similar weight and size so I wasn't too concerned with the sag at that point.

#4 You never mentioned you lap times compared to a track record time (just for comparison). If you were going 30 sec off the pace, there would no reason to make changes, but if you were much closer to the record you could gauge your changes to determine if it was better or worse. When you throw a pic up here without adequate backup data and information you are not helping yourself to really resolve the problem.

The bike I normally ride is a CBR 1000 and this was a CBR 400 so I dont think I could compare times or have any data to back up my question. I know I never posted the difference in cc's

Thanks for your help

• 1 month later...

I was mainly concered about the tyres as I had never used slicks before and observed the wear to be different to my road tyres. The original owner was of a similar weight and size so I wasn't too concerned with the sag at that point.

The bike I normally ride is a CBR 1000 and this was a CBR 400 so I dont think I could compare times or have any data to back up my question. I know I never posted the difference in cc's

Thanks for your help

You will get a differnt looking wear from DOT to slicks. The DOT tires having grooves move and squirm differently than slicks. The tread block of a DOT tire tend to move indipendently of one another, while a slick all the rubber is connection and move as one mass. Thus sometimes there is different wear.

I don't think you have an issue, just differences with what it looks like.

Archived