Power Commander Issue

Was getting the Kawasaki ZX6RR '05 ready for endurance racing yesterday. A little history on the bike is that it was a sprint bike AMA with quick change so we decided to use it for endurance racing...changing tires and fill up in 18 seconds sounded so sweet. Well we threw a rod at Roebling last year at the beginning of the season and moth balled it until now. I have a 636 engine installed with the power commander settings for the 600rr motor but it looks to me the only difference is the bore.

The quick shifter wouldn't work so got in touch with the guys at Dyno Jet and got a new firmware upload because the files must have been corrupted. Loaded everything up and took it down the street yesterday to test the quick shifter. It works but I'm getting a noticeable backfire or pop during the shift to 2nd, 3rd and 4th more noticeable at higher rpm's.

Now. My fellow rider and I think it could help us during the endurance race by scaring the competition and how fun would it be to start through the long straights with a little bang every time we shift.Funny but we need to fix it......this software is older and only gives me one option on kill time for all the gears. The default setting is 55 milliseconds. I increased it to 65 milliseconds and the problem is still there. I'm thinking that the shut off time isn't enough or my injectors are not shutting off 100% What do you guys think?

Sounds like ignition is cut off, but not fuel, so when the spark comes back there's a lot of unburned fuel on the exhaust system to light off.

OTOH -I do not know all the detail differences between the 600 and 636, but the 600 was in a much higher state of tune. This leads me to think that there are differences in camshafts/cam timing, probably ignition advance, exhaust system and injection etc. as well. 37cc shouldn't be enough to go from peaky to grunty on its own, I reckon.

Was getting the Kawasaki ZX6RR '05 ready for endurance racing yesterday. A little history on the bike is that it was a sprint bike AMA with quick change so we decided to use it for endurance racing...changing tires and fill up in 18 seconds sounded so sweet. Well we threw a rod at Roebling last year at the beginning of the season and moth balled it until now. I have a 636 engine installed with the power commander settings for the 600rr motor but it looks to me the only difference is the bore.

The quick shifter wouldn't work so got in touch with the guys at Dyno Jet and got a new firmware upload because the files must have been corrupted. Loaded everything up and took it down the street yesterday to test the quick shifter. It works but I'm getting a noticeable backfire or pop during the shift to 2nd, 3rd and 4th more noticeable at higher rpm's.

Now. My fellow rider and I think it could help us during the endurance race by scaring the competition and how fun would it be to start through the long straights with a little bang every time we shift.Funny but we need to fix it......this software is older and only gives me one option on kill time for all the gears. The default setting is 55 milliseconds. I increased it to 65 milliseconds and the problem is still there. I'm thinking that the shut off time isn't enough or my injectors are not shutting off 100% What do you guys think?

Hey fossilfuel,

A couple questions first....Are you running the Power Commander IIIUSB only? Or are you also running the Ignition Module.

The reason I ask...

That bike has 8 injectors. The Power Commander IIIUSB will ONLY kill fuel on the main injectors, but not the secondary injectors. Spark is not getting killed unless you are running an Ignition Module in conjunction with the Power Commander IIIUSB. The Ignition Module is another box(different than the Power Commander IIIUSB).

So...only killing one set of injectors and not spark....you can kind of see how this could cause a backfire...

You should get the Ignition Module if you don't have it. Not only will it not backfire, but you will probably notice that your quickshifts are much smoother. The part number for the Ignition Module is 6-01.

There is another possible cause for your problem, but I want to know if you are running the Ignition Module first...

Thanks Timmer for the response....I am running the ignition module. And, thank you Eirik.

Part of the fix for the corrupted software is a PC kill switch enable icon on my desktop.

Thanks Timmer for the response....I am running the ignition module. And, thank you Eirik.

Part of the fix for the corrupted software is a PC kill switch enable icon on my desktop.

Ok...good to know you are running the Ignition Module. Now that I know that...here's another thing to check.

When you run the little "Quickshift Enable" program, make sure that the PCIIIUSB and Ignition Module are connected AND both powered up. The best way to do this is starting the bike. One common problem guys will run into is they will run the "Quickshift Enable" program with only the PCIIIUSB powered up(key on).

With the bike started, first open the PCIIIUSB software to make sure that the Igntion Module shows up. Then run the "Quickshift Enable" program again. Click the button to disable it, and then click it again to re-enable it. If both modules are powered up it will ensure that the quickshifter gets turned on in both boxes.

Hope that helps. Let me know how it goes. :D

Archived