Helmet Certification For School Requirement

Hi - in the registration it says helmet must be DOT or Snell approved. Does the school take the (some say more stringent) ECE 22.05 approved helmets if a student brings one ? If travelling from Europe, you will have an ECE 22.05 approved helmet because DOT/Snell don't approve the European helmets ? Don't want to show up in my Eurospec helmet and be told I can't use it. Thanks

Good question Anthem. We'll have to wait on an official ruling from the school on this (maybe Cobie can chime in). I wasn't familiar with the differences between the certifications so I did some research and found this article:

DOT vs ECE Helmet Safety Standards

Long story short, even the experts can't agree on which is best.

Good question Anthem. We'll have to wait on an official ruling from the school on this (maybe Cobie can chime in). I wasn't familiar with the differences between the certifications so I did some research and found this article:

DOT vs ECE Helmet Safety Standards

Long story short, even the experts can't agree on which is best.

Exactly. but I'm not even debating what is best as I don't think you can argue which is better (or worse) - and thats for a much larger discussion. . . I just noticed on the paperwork that the helmets will be inspected and that they have be DOT or Snell certified. And I wanted to know if my ECE 22.05 certified is allowed to be used.

Basically, if any European comes over wearing the same Arai/Corsair/AGV/Bell/Schuberth helmet as sold in the states, it is ECE certified and not DOT/Snell (USA). So if I bought my ECE certified helmet in the UK, can I use it at the school if I come over here in the USA to take the school. They are functionally close and serve the same purpose - just a different "certification" depending upon where the helmet was sold.

Note - I am absolutely certain the UK (and European school) says the helmet needs to be ECE 22.05 certified and NOT DOT/Snell certified. So it should be ok, but just wanted to confirm before the actual school date. Don't want a person stuck on the actual semantics of the requirement over the functional one to give me trouble.

Basically, if any European comes over wearing the same Arai/Corsair/AGV/Bell/Schuberth helmet as sold in the states, it is ECE certified and not DOT/Snell (USA). So if I bought my ECE certified helmet in the UK, can I use it at the school if I come over here in the USA to take the school. They are functionally close and serve the same purpose - just a different "certification" depending upon where the helmet was sold.

Note - I am absolutely certain the UK (and European school) says the helmet needs to be ECE 22.05 certified and NOT DOT/Snell certified. So it should be ok, but just wanted to confirm before the actual school date. Don't want a person stuck on the actual semantics of the requirement over the functional one to give me trouble.

I'm quite convinced that your UK helmet would be allowed, but to be Super-safe, shoot an email to Cobie to get a confirmation (I think he's out of town, but he usually responds quickly on his phone).

Kai

Archived