I am signed up for the NOLA Motorsports Park 2-day camp in just a couple weeks time and I am ready for it! I've been working on an oil rig in Nigeria, and just got stuck an extra week because my relief decided not to show. I cannot wait to get there and learn what I'm doing wrong, as I am sure the list is long.

I know I'll be Level 1 & 2, but are all the machines going to be available at NOLA? I think this may be the first time that CSS will be there, but I could be wrong. Also, anything of importance to know or things to bring would be appreciated. I started street riding 10 years ago when I turned 16, but most of my experience, except for the time I needed a new ABS pump and got a loaner S100RR, I've ridding a GS Adventure, so I'm expecting a huge difference.

See you in a few weeks!

Craig

I am signed up for the NOLA Motorsports Park 2-day camp in just a couple weeks time and I am ready for it! I've been working on an oil rig in Nigeria, and just got stuck an extra week because my relief decided not to show. I cannot wait to get there and learn what I'm doing wrong, as I am sure the list is long.

I know I'll be Level 1 & 2, but are all the machines going to be available at NOLA? I think this may be the first time that CSS will be there, but I could be wrong. Also, anything of importance to know or things to bring would be appreciated. I started street riding 10 years ago when I turned 16, but most of my experience, except for the time I needed a new ABS pump and got a loaner S100RR, I've ridding a GS Adventure, so I'm expecting a huge difference.

See you in a few weeks!

Craig

Hi Craig,

I'll be in New Orleans also so we'll see each other at some point. I'm not sure what you mean by "all the machines", but I think the answer regardless is: yes. They have all their equipment packed into two 18-wheelers that go everywhere with them, so they'll have it all. It is the first time CSS has been to that track, but as always they'll have just about everything/anything you may need. Show up with a good attitude and something to wear under your leathers (I assumed you plan to use school gear) and all will be well :)

Best wishes,

Brad

As Brad said, this is CSS's first time running at NOLA. The thing that will determine whether the off track bikes (brake bike, lean bike, etc.) can be used, is whether there is a safe and usable area to run them, so being their first time there, they won't know for sure until they get there the day before and set up. (But most tracks have some usable area, so cross your fingers. :) ) The camera bike should be available, barring any unforeseen technical issues.

As far as what to bring, again Brad is on target - CSS has about everything you need, you'll just want something to wear under your leathers - UnderArmour works especially well, helps keep you cool and is thin and slides easily under the leathers. (A regular cotton T shirt is less comfortable, and can get bunched up or damp.)

You may prefer to use your own gloves, or helmet, or boots, but that is up to you; sometimes having your own gear is nice, but that just depends on how much STUFF you really want to travel with. :)

The most important thing, by far, is to show up rested, with a good attitude; and if it is hot, make sure to keep drinking plenty of water throughout the day - there's a lot of riding at a 2 day camp.

I'm sure you'll have a blast - let us know how it goes!

"The thing that will determine whether the off track bikes (brake bike, lean bike, etc.) can be used, is whether there is a safe and usable area to run them"

You might be able to squeeze them in the paddock area....LOL! You'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! NOLA is an awesome track :D It will be nice to see the facility when it is fully complete. Even in the partially complete state it's in now it still is very nice. Thankfully we were able to setup a classroom in the one area with A/C because it was very hot and humid Monday. I'm moving here in September and can't wait to start doing regular track days :)

Brad,

I was there when the CSS trucks pulled in. I went down and said hello to Will and Pete before I left. I was there all weekend control riding and instructing for a track day organization. There are many new faces with the school...been to long.

Brad,

I was there when the CSS trucks pulled in. I went down and said hello to Will and Pete before I left. I was there all weekend control riding and instructing for a track day organization. There are many new faces with the school...been to long.

Wow, I wish I'd known you were there so I could've introduced myself and said hello. I arrived about two hours before the trucks and was wandering around the paddock and garages talking with folks. If you're going to be at NOLA once in a while then I'll probably be seeing you. We'll should chat more once I get relocated in September. I'm really excited - I'll be only minutes away from a big track for a change :)

Brad,

I will be there! This track is to close not to ride it. WERA is racing at NOLA the end of June and I will most likely being doing a track weekend or two later this summer....What did you like most about the course?

...What did you like most about the course?

Hmmm, good question. I like the variety of cornering conditions on the course. I spent 9 of 14 sessions working on visual skills (2-step, 3-step, wide-view). It took a while for my brain to recognize/realize the different visual challenges, but good coaching helped lead me to the right conclusions and proper adjustments. Turns 3 & 4 gave me a rough time visually; I improved quite a bit but I never felt I really nailed those two. Turns 1, 5, & 13 had me a bit unsettled early on but in the end they were my favorite turns and I was extremely pleased with my improvements.

Shifting topics slightly, I rode the F800ST for both days at NOLA and that made a world of difference for me. I still have neck problems from my crash in 2010, and riding the S1000RR (or any bike with low clip-ons) simply is too problematic. I rode the S1000RR for two days at Streets of Willow last Oct and ended up in the hospital for the next four days. Riding the F800ST didn't compromise my neck and really allowed me to enjoy two days on the track. The comfort level alone gave me a huge boost in confidence - something I still was generally lacking since the 2010 crash.

Turn three is a late apex for me. I like to be about three feet off the curb as I line up for the curbing on exit then on the throttle and go straight for the entry of 4...I don't see much use in going out to the edge for entry to 4. I would rather gas it and keep it straight up and down for heavy braking on entry...there are a few ways to go in that turn...but you are right. Its hard to get a feel for which is best.

I love the esses.

Turn three is a late apex for me. I like to be about three feet off the curb as I line up for the curbing on exit then on the throttle and go straight for the entry of 4...

Hmmm, I'm not sure I ever did it quite this way but I think I will give this a try next time I get to NOLA (probably Oct 20/21 with NESBA). My coach followed me with the GoPro so I'll take another look and see but I'm pretty sure I (and those I recall following) apexed a bit earlier and closer to the curb and took a more cautious approach to entry of 4.

I love the esses.

I hear ya. The esses were even more fun for me once I got my visuals in order. I was going pretty slow but I enjoyed turning at turn 8 at ~90 mph (something I really am not used to doing), slowing a bit for turn 9, and then picking up some speed through 10 and 11. The fast guys really must be screaming through there.

• 2 months later...

I hear ya. The esses were even more fun for me once I got my visuals in order. I was going pretty slow but I enjoyed turning at turn 8 at ~90 mph (something I really am not used to doing), slowing a bit for turn 9, and then picking up some speed through 10 and 11. The fast guys really must be screaming through there.

In my level 2 video, I thought I was doing quite well (don't we all...) when all of a sudden one of the instructors, Cobie, blows by me in a blink of an eye. That put it in perspective for me!