Throttle Roll On In S Curves

I did level 1 this past Saturday (was freaking awesome!) and I've spent the past two days mulling over lessons taught and the drills we practiced. Mr. Dylan Code said that it's easier to turn an "unstable" bike, ie. when the throttle is off. Once you have your line set, start the throttle roll. In single corners, I think this is comprehensible.

Now in S curves, what's the proper procedure? I'm somewhat sure it starts the same. coming into the first turn, off the throttle, lean in and set line, then open throttle. Coming up to the immediate next curve, am I supposed to turn the throttle off again? Since the two turns blend together (the exit of the first turn is the entrance to the second), would rolling off the throttle bring me wide coming into the second?

hi,

Great that you really enjoyed the school.

So, you've understood why a bike turns quicker in a less stable scenario due to the geometry differences in how a bike performs. Now then consider, are all S bends the same? Would it be possible that you may need to do any of the following if the second s bend is sharp enough?

- stop the roll on? (I.e check the throttle)

-brake to set entry speed for the second part?

-be able to roll on slower?

Given the options, is there only one answer?

Bullet

good point there sir... all turns are not the same..hell Coach Joe said if you're inconsistent with your lines, every lap is going to be vastly different and corners will feel different every time you come around to it.

I was mainly asking about an S curve where it's pretty much a quick flick in then a quick flick out. In that situation, is this the correct way of going about it? :

1. off throttle

2. quick flick in and set line

3. throttle roll on exiting first part and entering second part

4. hold throttle steady (stop rolling on) and quick flick into the next part

5. throttle roll on once line is set

is that ok?

If you are talking about turn 4-5-6-7 at SOW, I roll on hard out of tight 4 righthander into the 5 lefthander then ez off and flick into 6 then accellerate into the 7. Its a 4 corner section that I think of as slow- fast- medium- fast. And yea its real tricky to get just right and one heckuva challenge.

Its a 4 corner section that I think of as slow- fast- medium- fast.

The most fun section of the entire track I think, even better when you do it 7 6 5 4 tho biggrin.gif

you can really carry a lot more speed in 6 then you initially think, Its one of the places I'm more confident passing going wider and harder on the throttle there and then taking a more inside line through 7. That section is also a perfect example of a small error in one corner resulting in a much bigger error 2 corners later ( yes I know that discussion is from a different thread ) if your off a little on 4 and take a funky line through 5 you can end up way off in 6

good point there sir... all turns are not the same..hell Coach Joe said if you're inconsistent with your lines, every lap is going to be vastly different and corners will feel different every time you come around to it.

I was mainly asking about an S curve where it's pretty much a quick flick in then a quick flick out. In that situation, is this the correct way of going about it? :

1. off throttle

2. quick flick in and set line

3. throttle roll on exiting first part and entering second part

4. hold throttle steady (stop rolling on) and quick flick into the next part

5. throttle roll on once line is set

is that ok?

I guess the point is that we can now agree that every S curve is different, and thus requires an (ammendment) to the technique applied. what's really important to consider is that in most cases, the first part of the S-Bend is the least important of the two parts, and so what we need to make sure is that we can apply the correct throttle roll on for the second part of the S-Bend, and thus get good drive down the next straight. There's very little time to be made up in (the middle of) many S-Bends, but drive off the 2nd part of the turns is everything.

If you're initial roll on in the first part of the S bend gives you a bad line (i.e you're running wide and perhaps hot) then would you be able to apply the throttle rule, (in the 2nd part)? If not, what would you do to correct it?

Bullet