Concerns When Changing S1000Rr Brake Pads & Fluid?

Hi all,

I would like to change out the brake pads on my S1000RR and I wanted to ask a couple of questions. Is there anything about the Bavarian Bullet (ABS, traction control, etc.) that makes it different when it comes to changing the brake pads and brake fluid? Are there any special concerns or possible issues for the DIY'er? Or is it basically the same as any other sportbike? (I have ordered a shop manual but it hasn't arrived yet.)

I was also curious what brake pads the school uses. Do you use factory replacements or do you have an aftermarket part you recommend.

I don't mind having this work done by a professional if necessary but one of my goals with this bike it to do more of this kind of work myself, primarily as an educational process. I want to understand my bike more.

Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated!

Best,

Carey

You ask this just as I am changing the school bikes. They are just as wny other brakes, easier than some. There are two ways to do them, caliper on or off the bike. the trick is to how to push the pistons back into the caliper? If I am doing them on the bike I use a bent needle nose and push the spring forward with one hand and pull the pin out the rear with the other. Then with a flat blade screwdriver gently twist between the disk and old pad to push the pistons back, doing one pair at a time, pull the old out the top and install the the new ones then go to the other pair ( opposing pistons not right side then left, one right and one left).

Off the bike I use two screwdrivers, one to keep the set I am not working on apart and the other to push the pistons back by twisting between the olod pads. This way you dont have to pull the pins or springs as the pads will come out the bottom. Just dont pull both calipers or you risk pushing a piston out of the other one.

We use Glaphere padswhich I like very much, good life, low dust and no fade. The stock pads are very good right up to fast riding. Once you are on the track and really going they have too much initial bite and then when pushed will fade. OK for anything but track days with a fast rider.

Will

Many thanks Will!

KTK_ace - I think that was a typo and he meant Galfer. Just ask Cobie how much he loves posting to the forum with his iPhone :P .

I need a tutorial on how to use the forum on an iPhone, can't edit, and can barely read this frigin small font!! Where's Hotfoot, I'll ask her.

Many thanks Will!

KTK_ace - I think that was a typo and he meant Galfer. Just ask Cobie how much he loves posting to the forum with his iPhone :P .

I need a tutorial on how to use the forum on an iPhone, can't edit, and can barely read this frigin small font!! Where's Hotfoot, I'll ask her.

thanks!! :D

Im using vesrah sintered GG's on my ride now , i'll give galfer a look when my pads need changing :lol: