Identifying This Line

aslcbr600

I was overlooking the race track map for the local track here and saw that from T7 to T8 on the black course (short course) where it has that horseshoe looking part of the track. Now how would you take a turn like that with either a qualifying line or racing line?

I don't know if this will make any sense but just from looking at the track map this is how I would interpret the turn: from T7 to T8 I would be more towards the outside of the track and follow that into the black portion of the track and try to go as straight and upright as possible and then into a quick turn and take the inside of the line once the turn decreases. I would do it this way because I would spend less time leaned over, more traction, more throttle and carry more speed throughout the whole turn.

http://www.cra-mn.com/wordpress/wp-content/themes/greyzed/images/downloads/BIR_TrackMap.pdf

I was overlooking the race track map for the local track here and saw that from T7 to T8 on the black course (short course) where it has that horseshoe looking part of the track. Now how would you take a turn like that with either a qualifying line or racing line?

I don't know if this will make any sense but just from looking at the track map this is how I would interpret the turn: from T7 to T8 I would be more towards the outside of the track and follow that into the black portion of the track and try to go as straight and upright as possible and then into a quick turn and take the inside of the line once the turn decreases. I would do it this way because I would spend less time leaned over, more traction, more throttle and carry more speed throughout the whole turn.

http://www.cra-mn.co...IR_TrackMap.pdf

It's difficult to judge distances/turn radii from the map, so allow me to ask back: would the length of the straight after the horseshoe affect how you would attach the horseshoe itself?

http://www.cra-mn.co...IR_TrackMap.pdf

It's difficult to judge distances/turn radii from the map, so allow me to ask back: would the length of the straight after the horseshoe affect how you would attach the horseshoe itself?

I am sorry man I am kinda lost on your question, I am having a hard time understanding what the straight after the horseshoe affects the horseshoe itself. Am I misreading something?

I am sorry man I am kinda lost on your question, I am having a hard time understanding what the straight after the horseshoe affects the horseshoe itself. Am I misreading something?

OK, let me be less Socratic and more direct, then:

Would you say that there are multiple good lines that you could take through the turn?

Would it be likely that some of these lines would sacrifice drive out of the turn (ie exit speed and acceleration) in favor of spending shorter time in the turn itself?

How would the length of the following straight affect your choice of line in the turn, if you're trying to lower your laptimes?

HTH, Kai

I think that I'd opt to go as straight as possible with a less than maximum speed around the kink in order to come out with the bike fairly close to vertical. I think that would allow me to start accelerating pretty early, well before the little left hand kink. If you go through the right with lots of lean, you will have trouble changing direction onto the straight and even more trouble getting on the throttle before the end of the straight. But as Kai mentioned, the width of the track as well as the actual distances can have a big impact on how you will actually do things.

OK, let me be less Socratic and more direct, then:

Would you say that there are multiple good lines that you could take through the turn?

Would it be likely that some of these lines would sacrifice drive out of the turn (ie exit speed and acceleration) in favor of spending shorter time in the turn itself?

How would the length of the following straight affect your choice of line in the turn, if you're trying to lower your laptimes?

HTH, Kai

I was also thinking if the track is wide enough you could almost treat it like a double apex turn, take the inside line and exit wide on the straight and then turn back in to the inside line on the other part of the horseshoe. I suppose if you can't add enough throttle through the turn on the outside line it might not make up for the added distance you have to go vs someone taking the inside line. As far as the straight would be how much speed you can gather up, if there isn't much speed to gain then taking a tighter line could be better.

I think that I'd opt to go as straight as possible with a less than maximum speed around the kink in order to come out with the bike fairly close to vertical. I think that would allow me to start accelerating pretty early, well before the little left hand kink. If you go through the right with lots of lean, you will have trouble changing direction onto the straight and even more trouble getting on the throttle before the end of the straight. But as Kai mentioned, the width of the track as well as the actual distances can have a big impact on how you will actually do things.

That's more along the lines of what I was thinking but you just explained it 10X better lol.