Problems With Mid Corner

After my 2 crashes which where both lowsides, I took a break from big tracks. I recently moved to supermoto leg out style and i've been doing really well and feeling very confident. Getting lower than ever and being smooth. This past week after riding with Stuart Smith (former coach) at adams... i tried knee out again.. 2nd time out i low sided. So here it is...I can pretty well gauge my lean level but once i get to the lean angle at the edge of my tire to where i'm dragging... I feel very uncomfortable since my head is so close to the ground and it brings back a psychological barrier. But it's not until i start dragging that problems occur

Brief info on my crash at the kart track... I missed my line went out wide. Dont know why i crashed but most are saying i hit a very dirty section of the track and washed out. For me, it might have been lean and throttle.. i dont think i used up all the tire since there is still a small amount of chicken strip.

Some things:

-Since im so low and uncomfortable, i dont get on the throttle soon enough to straighten the bike back up. In return, I end up in a vulnerable position.... the bike loses speed and i'm not adding enough throttle. Causing the bike to lean more causing me to use more tire and the biggest issue is me adding lean and being on the throttle.

-Biggest thing is once im low enough, i lose perception since my head is so low and i dont feel confident that the bike will hold me when i'm mid corner trying to exit.

-I turn in fine. Flicking the bike in hard hitting my TP and apex.

But would hesitating after I hit the the apex and not rolling on when i was suppose to cause me to lean more once i start rolling on since i missed the timing portion?

Has this been a sticking point for anybody?

Best,

~W

Sounds like your lowsides could be related to throttle control. When your off the gas, the weight goes forward and the rear becomes unloaded and you know what can happen next.

Start here: Get back to the throttle as soon as possible, not at entry, not at apex and not at any particular part of the turn. But as soon as you can after steering is complete.

Then tackle getting control of your SR's (head so low). I personally find that to be the best part but to each their own.

I cant gauge where I am in the turn sometimes. Meaning the apex and exit dont register since my perception changes once I am in the turn causing me to have a minor brain fart.

But Csmith. You are right, after my initial steering input is done, I need to hope back on the throttle!

But what would happen if you hesitated and not gotten on the throttle as fast? Would you in turn overload the front if the learn angle is very low. (more lean = less margin for error?)

I cant gauge where I am in the turn sometimes. Meaning the apex and exit dont register since my perception changes once I am in the turn causing me to have a minor brain fart.

But Csmith. You are right, after my initial steering input is done, I need to hope back on the throttle!

But what would happen if you hesitated and not gotten on the throttle as fast? Would you in turn overload the front if the learn angle is very low. (more lean = less margin for error?)

if your cornering forces < gravitational force (that is, 1G) at large lean angels ...

its feels that you just underloaded your tires... but thats just me, someone has a more scientific/well put answer?

Yea, I hear that. Visual skills are HUGE! Lemme ask ya something. When your leaned over and got your head low, do you level your head and eyes out with the horizon by tilting your head? Or is your vision of the world of cornering somewhere near 45 degrees? I am sure you have thought about WHERE you should be looking but how about the WHEN part?

Sure that is possible but I think the chances of loosing the rear would be greater because your front will be loaded and rear somewhat unloaded. When your leaned over, you need your rear loaded (10%-20%) more than the front. And how do you transfer the weight from the front to the rear?

Homework for you: What happened to me at the 30s mark in the video below?

Excellent homework skillz. :)

Do you think leveling your head and eyes would help, so your view of the world is no so twisted up?

But it's not until i start dragging that problems occur

Just another though...

Have you tried to just "touch an go"? ie pick up your leg just a tad so your knee is no longer touching. No sense in just grinding the puck down for now real reason. Maybe the head down and puck grinding are inner-related to your head down sr? When you pick your knee up, be mindful to not add additional lean angle, your line should already be set.

Excellent homework skillz. :)

Do you think leveling your head and eyes would help, so your view of the world is no so twisted up?

But it's not until i start dragging that problems occur

Just another though...

Have you tried to just "touch an go"? ie pick up your leg just a tad so your knee is no longer touching. No sense in just grinding the puck down for now real reason. Maybe the head down and puck grinding are inner-related to your head down sr? When you pick your knee up, be mindful to not add additional lean angle, your line should already be set.

I was always taught that your head should be down low as possible even if it is an angle. But your eyes are always scanning. In theory I would agree with that but when done in practice everything seems twisted.

I will give that touch and go a try. Because when I ride supermoto style I have no fear or SR when I am at a extreme lean angle

As low as possible... aye? Maybe there is a realistic limit somewhere.

41569310200227652757010.jpg

How about low enough to allow for good form and the best vision possible? Because you will never go faster than your visual processing skills without being loaded on the crash truck at some point.