12 Year Old Wera Racer On A Moriwaki 250

We were priveleged to meet and chat with Keith and racer Joe Roberts at Barber last weekend. My son Nicholas is a 12 year old liscened WERA novice riding a Moriwaki 250. He started racing various mini`s on kart tracks just under two years ago and had been riding racing dirt up to that point since the age of 4. We are transitioning to the 250 this year on big tracks along with his NSR65 mini. Nic has over 30 podiums to his credit to date. We came into this year expecting only to learn and transition. He has earned two podiums so far on the 250 in four races and has podiumed all races on the NSR.. Yes, the competion out there these day is slim, the grids are not very big and to be honest I as his Father/coach with little road race experience can tell where he needs to improve buy watching but I lack the finer skills to tell or show him how to do it. We are committed to the sport as a career. Europe is our chosen path.

There are almost two months between races this year with WERA at Road Atlanta and Roebling with the exception of Mid-Ohio but I think he must be 16 to race there... no exceptions. We want to use this time to come to CSS. At what level may he start and how is the progression to higher levels achieved? Can more than one level be achieved in a one day session or multiples or is the two day the best way to go?

post-23971-0-04638800-1368572071_thumb.jpg

Take a look at the first thread in this section, it will fully answer your question:

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.php?showtopic=3364

Everyone starts at Level 1, even pro racers. It is not about riding experience or speed, the material is designed to progress and build through each level. Each rider rides at his/her own pace and passing is allowed. Each Level takes a full day to complete. There are three course levels and then after that is Level 4, which is a program customized for each rider. You can take Level 4 as many times as you want, it will be customized for you - it is personalized coaching tailored to the rider's specific needs.

There are a number of threads on the forum debating the pros and cons of 1 day schools versus the 2 day camp. 2 day camp gives you more track time, 2 riding groups instead of 3, and only 2 students per coach instead of 3. However, you have to ride the BMW for the 2 day camp, so if your son wants to ride his own bike you will have to go with 1 day schools.

Call the office when you have an idea of what school location is interesting to you - tracks have varying age limits so you will want to call to check to see if the track will allow a 12 year old to ride.

Congrats on your Moriwaki, I race one myself with WERA West and I love it, all kinds of fun to ride and it's always a kick to ride rings around the big bikes in the turns. :)

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like we will need to stack up sessions for 1 day schools levels 1 through 4 as there is no way I think he can handle the BMW, he will probably think he can :). We may need to stay right of the Mississippi but a west coast race school vacation sounds fun. I will check the schedule an contact the office, One last question.. Are there tire vendors and or changing services at the tracks or should I be prepared to change my own?

NicsDad,

I do the timing and scoring up in utah for the "Masters of the Mountains" road racing series. We too have a young gun running around the 250 classes up here. May I suggest you bring Nic up and they can battle? Our kid (Gauge Rees) doesn't have really anyone near his age/size to race against so he goes out against full sized adults and has a blast. I'm sure he'd enjoy another kid to ride against and probably would make a new friend outa the deal.

Good luck with your little guy. I have a 7 month old son who I hope one day wants to try racing... first we'll work on walking, then we move toward riding/racing. HAHA.

Tom

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like we will need to stack up sessions for 1 day schools levels 1 through 4 as there is no way I think he can handle the BMW, he will probably think he can :). We may need to stay right of the Mississippi but a west coast race school vacation sounds fun. I will check the schedule an contact the office, One last question.. Are there tire vendors and or changing services at the tracks or should I be prepared to change my own?

If you come to Willow Springs June 8th/9th you can bring your own bike and it's two one-day classes in a row on a weekend. I'll be driving down from Utah for it so you'll see me there if you join us!

TD

The school offers Dunlop tires for sale, but there would not be any other vendors there. They would not normally stock tires for the Moriwaki, but you could probably pre-order some through the school and have them bring them for you. Will, the mechanic for the school, is usually able to change tires if given a little advance notice (for example, if you tell him the day before he can probably arrange to get it done in the morning of the next day.) Changing between riding sessions is sometimes possible but certainly more difficult and you don't want your son to miss any track time.

The office staff can help with tire questions - pre-ordering tires, etc.

If you are interested in him riding a school bike, you might want to ask the office about that, too - usually we have another style of bike available for short riders, not sure if it would be manageable for him or not but the office staff will know.