Braking Info From Le Mans.

Hard to tell, but I doubt streetbikes would be terribly far behind. At least until the brakes began to fade. The primary reason they average more than 1G in braking comes from air resistance; the faster you go, the more drag is generated and hence the more G you can pull during stopping.

Where the high price brake systems pay off is in consistency, modulation and initial bite. Grip (and wind and angle of the road) together with the limit for flopping over determine how fast you can stop as virtually every brake is strong enough to overpower grip.

• 3 weeks later...

Back more on terms with the original post, borrowed from Crash.net.

Cal Crutchlow responded to a question about maximum braking distances in MotoGP now being 300 metres, or three times the size of a football pitch, with a stat of his own.

“I can tell you it doesn't feel like three times a football field!” began the factory Ducati rider, speaking in the Catalunya paddock on the eve of this weekend's grand prix. “It's incredible the speeds we are going now. We know we are braking at the limit of the machines, the tyres and the riders.

“But the worse thing is, to give you a statistic, for the whole time we brake we hold our breath. So up to 300 metres and you can imagine how many times a lap we brake.”

Crutchlow explained: “It's the natural thing to do - you're shitting yourself that you're not going to stop! It's the only thing that makes a rider's heart rate increase a lot on the motorbike. You tense everything on your body to stop.

“If anybody says they breathe when they brake, I can guarantee they don't. So when you go into a corner it's like taking your first breath again. But the problem is with 15 corners on a track - you are holding your breath for a long time each lap. So I'm glad the 300 metres goes fast or we'd have no breath left!”

Fellow Ducati rider Andrea Iannone set a new MotoGP top speed record of 349.6km/h (217.2mph) last time out at Mugello.

Yes, this was after Mugello, but Sepang also has very long straights with high top speeds, as do a couple of other tracks. Still, Mugello is perhaps extreme in that there is a steep downhill at the end of the straight, requiring more distance to stop.