Rear Sets Benefits

I'm debating whether to install rear sets on my 600cc, but I hear very different opinions on models and benefits. Prices varies wildly from $300 for Vortex to $600++ for Driven. I like the idea of the Sato racing concave foot pegs, designed to collapse in case of crash, a bit like R&G sliders.

I hear the main benefit is to rise the height of foot pegs and avoid dragging on leaning?

What's your experience?

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=14799

http://www.satoracing.com/rearsetstop.htm

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/driven-racing-d-axis-rearsets

For me, their main purpose is to adjust ergos. I adjust to get my knee into the most fitting and comfortable place on the tank to get a good lock on the bike. Next would be overall bike feel and boot grip, followed by ground clearance. Depending on the bike, ground clearance moves way up on the list, like a ninja 250, the stockers are just too low to really get some good lean going on. On the flip side, I have no problems with lean/feel/grip on the stock rearsets on my 06 r6. I am also lucky that my knee is dug into the lip fairly well too.

And if you buy some, consider a spare peg or two with your order.

Rear sets REALLY improve the ergo's on a bike and are worth every penny. They provide a much more stable base for the rider. Not only is the peg more solid but it also has a knurled grip to bite into your boot.

Go as adjustable as you can. I recently equipped my BMW with Woodcraft rear sets only to end up replacing them for the BMW HP rear sets for more adjustment. The adjustment gives you the ability to get the bike dialed in perfectly for your body shape. I have long legs and even at the lowest setting the Woodcrafts were ever so slightly too high.

A couple of photos of the "difference" between the Woodcraft rearset (high quality but not as adjustable) an the BMW HP rearset. The BMW's peg is mounted on an eccentric that can be adjusted any way you please. The Woodcraft uses two sets of holes (high and low) and the peg can be rotated in a limited amount of motion. Notice the holes behind the peg.

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

P.S. I learned another trick for people with long legs. Adjusting the rear sets downward is always great for comfort but often you sacrifice ground clearance at a certain point. Raising the seat gives you a bit more room for your legs. I put a BMW HP race seat on my bike to accomplish this. It not only gives me some extra room for my legs but also is made of a material that grips my leathers better so it feels more stable when I am hanging off. It's also missing the leg cutouts that the stock seat has for a positive feel on the edge.

IMG_0637.JPG

I have Attack Performance rearsets on now and the seat is on order. Been on order for some time now.. hmm....

I looked at those rearsets myself. Wish I had chosen them over the Woodcrafts in retrospect. I went with the Woodcraft ones because of the quality and their overwhelming support. They still stock all the parts for the rearsets on my old 1989 model Yamaha.

The seat for me at least is a massive improvement. It's a lot taller and gives a better grip and it looks pretty spiffy too. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Certainly I felt much more forward and my entire body raised up in the rear and moved forward in the sort of postion a jocky, downhill racer, or a bicycle racer (I was one) is in upon installation of rearsets. When I installed the Woodcrafts on my S1k I soon felt much more comfortable in terms of being in a racing position. Then I hurt my leg at work and started to get wicked pain in my right leg on the bike. I saw the Attacks on sale four months later and immediatley got them thinking they would solve my problem but then I realized firstly, the strength and quality of the Woodies seemed superior and I also hadn't really given them the full attention they needed to explore the limits of their adjustment for my particular body. Unlike and just the opposite of you Robert, and differently from what we had discussed earlier, I have a long upper body compared to my height at 5'11". I'm going to send the Attacks back for now since I'm in no rush to work this out and the money I save could go towards my racing license school at Penquin in 2015. I think Eric Wood will be able to help me work things out when I see him for my training. No disrepect to Attack. My opinions are based on a very brief examination upon reciept of them, and without removing my Woods. I must say the GP pattern shifing on the Woodcraft is excellent with rarely a false neutral and good, even sometimes with clutchless downshifting. Good rearsets rock even to someone as inexperinced as myself in working with them.