Fitness For A Racer

Cardio and strengthening your lower body would be a good start. Some work on flexibility is good too so that you can use some of the more aggressive body position without as much effort. Lower body strength is always a plus for a solid grip on the bike.

• 1 month later...

I realized that the 'female' machine that most of the guys tend to skip over is actually a good one for us as riders to condition with. You know the one im talking about.. there are actually two- that you sit in and the pads are on either the inner or outer parts of your thighs.

Using the 'squeeze' one where the pads are on the inside, it can simulate squeezing on the tank when braking or cornering. It may look wierd to others.. but i'll even lean over to one side and concentrate the squeeze with my outer leg. Weight off the bars right? Other than being on the track..this seems perfect to me!

I'm glad I'm not the only one using that machine at the gym. It works incredibly well.

With just a bit of working out with that machine I went from having aching legs and being tired after a track day to not being as affected.

One of the coaches at the school some years ago bought a ThighMaster, remember that thing? Suzanne Sommers used to do infomercials for it. For sure those inner and outer thigh muscles need strengthening for squeezing the tank and for hanging off the bike, those are great exercises to do. Riding horses exercises a lot of the same leg muscles needed for sportbike riding - thighs, quads, shins, calves, abs, and lower back; that's what I do to keep in shape when not riding the motorcycle.

Squats are a good exercise to prep for track riding, get the quadriceps & calf muscles strong. There are a number of threads on this topic (riding fitness), you might try a forum search for more info.