Health Insurance Coverage

I heard stories of how health insurances won't cover any hospital expense in case of a track accident (what in policy language is called a "close course event"). I also heard of riders being questioned about their motorcycle activity by an insurance representative over the phone after an ambulance trip to the hospital.

Do you have a special insurance to cover track days or racing? Are you confident your regular health insurance covers motorcycle riding?

Caveat emptor: I'm in Denmark. My private accident insurance policy states that if I partake in "risk-prone activities" (invariably including anything that doesn't happen above or under ground-level and motorsports), my insurance sum gets halved. You can get specific insurances for racing (that's part of what you pay for in RR license), but it's cheaper to simply buy an insurance with 2x the coverage. Then you also get 2x payout, should something happen to you when you aren't taking part in a "risk-prone activity".

YMMV.

I definitely heard of a national insurance company inquiring about a brief hospitalization a friend of mine had after an accident at the track. He avoided mentioning the track and eventually (after many phone calls) the inquire was settle as a "parking area" motorcycle accident.

Had a friend that had to take an ambulance ride from a crash at a race practice. First thing the health insurance company asked - "was this a traffic accident?", I assume because if it was, the hospital claim would go to the auto insurance company instead of the health insurance company. My friend answered that no, he was riding on a private closed course. The agent assumed (incorrectly) that it was a dirt bike accident and it was filed that way, and they paid it without any further dispute. I think as soon as you say the word "racing" or "racetrack", things get complicated in a hurry; you should read your insurance policy carefully (and life insurance, too if you have that) to see what is excluded.

If you are looking for racetrack coverage, take a look at Ridersurance, here is a link: http://www.ridersurance.com/

This is an agency owned by Brandon Parrish, an ex pro motorcycle racer, I believe they specialize in this sort of thing. They have advertised on the WERA racing board for years. I don't have any personal experience with them, but it seems like a good idea to have insurance that specifically covers race incidents, LifeFlight costs, etc., and as far as I can tell that is EXACTLY what they do.

I think I'm going to look into it myself.

+1 for http://www.ridersurance.com/

They have a number of different levels of insurance tailored to the thrill seeker. I looked into them for supplemental Life flight / Ambulance coverage when I was considering club racing somewhere far from civilization. Although I later found out I didn't actually need the extra coverage, they were quite helpful in my brief interaction.

Also remember that when it comes to insurance companies they might be pesky and ask for things like a police report if your trying to claim your mishap was on a public road, and if your transported in a ambulance of some kind, there will be a record of where you were transported from and too and when etc.