How Do I Start?

Hello, I am 17 and want to race motorcyle professionally. I feel that I am in my element while riding a bike, it doesn't matter what it is, small, large, two-stroke, four it just feels right. I have no track experience but would like to race in AMA or perhaps in a few years GP. Where would I start? Any good sites i.e. craigslist.com for maybe picking up a bike that I can take to a track? Thanks.

~Wip

• 2 months later...

Hello, I am 17 and want to race motorcyle professionally. I feel that I am in my element while riding a bike, it doesn't matter what it is, small, large, two-stroke, four it just feels right. I have no track experience but would like to race in AMA or perhaps in a few years GP. Where would I start? Any good sites i.e. craigslist.com for maybe picking up a bike that I can take to a track? Thanks.

~Wip

best way to start is by going to racetrack and see if you got anything on it... self-believe and confidence is surely needed, but it is not easy to become a pro-rider...

btw... I want to race professionally also. ( and so does thousands of other riders)... Riding and racing is the only element that works for me (too), but sadly it is not enough so I´ve better keep my day job for now :D

"if just could make a living racing motorcycles, that would be the coolest thing known to man" - K.S

and I totally agree.....

best way to start is by going to racetrack and see if you got anything on it... self-believe and confidence is surely needed, but it is not easy to become a pro-rider...

btw... I want to race professionally also. ( and so does thousands of other riders)... Riding and racing is the only element that works for me (too), but sadly it is not enough so I´ve better keep my day job for now :D

"if just could make a living racing motorcycles, that would be the coolest thing known to man" - K.S

and I totally agree.....

Yeah only 20 or so guys actually make a living off of it in the world right? I'm working on it and if I fail I will have to get a day job but the love for the sport will always be there. :D

I'd suggest the cheapest form of racing that will allow you to do as much as you can. If you buy a new 600 and race that, tires alone can be hard to afford for a race weekend. That, get some schools in, and wear out the TWIST OF THE WRIST books.

Best,

Cobie

Thanks man, I'm working on the financials right now.

Some guys would get a little 125 gp bike, it takes a bit to learn the maintenance (not that hard), but you used to be able to get one pretty cheap ($2-3 I thought).

CF