S 1000 single r -- would you ride it?

This is a survey question, be great if all of you would answer.  Some riders have a challenge riding the S1000rr position.  The single r is a bit more upright, and a terrific bike (I'm biased).

If we had some single r's at the school, would you want to ride it?

I found the RR's position quite comfy, was easier to ride than my old R6.   Probably the only change I'd be inclined to make is to raise the clipons a bit, or maybe go 0 degrees.  A more upright ride would be fine though, my current ride is standard posture.

That's one of the differences, taller bars.

• 1 month later...

I’ll speak to this second-hand. My brother has had both the older versions (2014 r / 2015 rr) & newer (2020 S1000RR-M package / 2024 M1000R). He owned both types simultaneously for a while & absolutely loves both. He’s ridden many thousands of miles on each and a handful of trackdays on all but the 2024.

The single-r is fantastic for everything except that all-out performance (detuned a little bit, and hefty drag at high speeds). My brother has issues with his back and wrists, so the upright riding position is a big draw for him. The new double-r’s aren’t uncomfortable for him, but he still prefers more upright. The huge drawback to why he got rid of the new single-r even at a significant loss, was that it has problems with vibration that made it unridable within 10-15 minutes daily. He tried dampers, bar-weights, taking it to the dealership for evaluation, etc. The general public was starting to catch on to this too, so he knew he didn’t just have a bad apple. That being said, if BMW can sort out the vibration issue, there’s no doubt you’d have some takers on using that bike as an option at the school. It’s fair that 20-minute sessions and someone with less sensitivity to bad vibes might not have any problem. I’d do it once just to try it out. But many peeps get that style bike because they need/want the additional comfort, so I’d love to see BMW get the bugs worked out. Of course, if you’re used to riding a twin all the time, you might wonder what the fuss is about 🤣