Helmets: KYT, etc.

We had the KYT big boss, and his crew at The Ridge--they had a great time, and it was good to spend some time with him, hear all the new stuff they have either released, or in the pipeline.  There helmets are terrific, so light...amazing, and they have different spec models for different applications (and the prices...fantastic).  Do I sound like a biased fan?  Yep.

He is registered, and willing to answer any helmet questions.  I'd really thought that industry might have stalled...doesn't appear to be so.

Ask away!

Best,

Cobie

I have a helmet question. If a rider's helmet sits a bit too low and is hard to see out of when they are low on the bike (or going uphill), what is the best remedy for that? I know at the school we have some special foam pads for that purpose, but what about at home? I've heard of riders using other materials in the helmet to lift it up a bit, like a folded microfiber towel. Does that compromise the safety of the helmet?

Is there any other way to raise the viewport other than stuffing something in the crown of the helmet?

If helmet foam is the only way to raise up the helmet, where else can you get it other than at Superbike School?

Good question, I've sent TJ a note, asked him to have a look at this when he has a moment.

Hi There,

To fix a helmet that sits too low and blocks your view:

Check Helmet Size: If your helmet is too loose, it won't sit correctly on your head, causing the visor to be too low. This blocks your view. At CSS schools, I see you guys use foam pads to lift the helmet, but this is just a temporary fix.

Home DIY: If you need to fix this at home, you can buy low-density foam (like weather seal foam from Home Depot) and place it inside the helmet to lift it slightly but it is the temporary fix too.I use weather seal  for helmet fitting in the USA because it's easy to buy and anyone can do it at home. The weather seal foam is low-density, which minimizes its impact on the helmet's safety. Its purpose is to fill the gap between the helmet and your head. Avoid using mid or high-density materials, as they might affect the helmet's safety.

Proper Helmet Fit: The best solution is to wear a helmet that fits correctly and  designed for racing. These helmets have a wider and deeper field of view, helping you see better and stay safe.

Choosing the right size and type of helmet is the best way to ensure safety and a clear view while riding.

TJ

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

If it wasn't clear, TJ is THE helmet fit guru at KYT!  

Best,

Cobie