Do we have any knowledgeable members on fuel, specifically gasoline for high-performance motorcycle riding?

Many years ago, there was a lot of talk about which gas was best for motorcycles, guys were trying VP and other brands, and finding in some cases it helped, in some it didn't.

I can get Vinny from LM in here too, but like to see if we have any members that are knowledgeable on this subject.

While its not a high-performance question I do find an across the board 5mpg+ improvement when using ethanol free gas in the bike, as measured by the ecu.   I noticed it in an analog fashion on my old carbureted Bandit a while back also.   Around here there aren't any pumps with it so I use it sparingly from 10gal cans, mostly for test running in the shop (and for the mowers, chainsaws etc ).   I've not seen any noticeable difference between the the various brands ethanol-free gas, though I'm not getting the fancy racing stuff.    When I'm on the road and find ethanol-free at the pump I will instantly and happily pay extra for it.

Some folks like to get additives to remove the ethanol from regular gas but I'd rather spend the time doing other stuff.

No comment on fuel for high performance but I use ethanol-free gas in my smaller carbureted bikes (DR200, TW200, MD250H) because when I use standard pump gas, the pilot jets clog easily if they sit without running for even a couple of weeks. It's more expensive but saves a lot of carb cleaning.

Fuel stabilizers help with pump gas but for me that doesn't seem to work as well as using the ethanol free gas.

Thanks both on this.  What brand has this ethanol free, or is it commonly available?  I've just not paid attention to this point.

I've used a lot of "Stinger 91 octane", a couple times Sunoco 95 octane (they didn't have any 91 in stock).   I found a closer place which sells "Fuel Factory" gas, 94 octane.    The win for me is ethanol-free, regardless of octane.   Some of the fuels can start getting close to $20/gal, but its so much better than E10 its worth it at least in relatively low quantities.    I looked into having it shipped, but not so much, well over $100 shipping.

Yeah hotfoot is right, 5 gal pails... not 10.   The 1st place I bought from would take the empties back, 2nd one doesn't so I'm going out to the shop to experiment with crushing the can in the screw press then send it out as metal scrap- pics below for anyone who likes old machines doing stuff...

image.thumb.png.104db9ddeaf9962dbc3598230d7d0193.png

image.thumb.png.cbc80f4c78bdfa5ce01e37788a2b2764.png

3 hours ago, Cobie Fair said:

Thanks both on this.  What brand has this ethanol free, or is it commonly available?  I've just not paid attention to this point.

I get it from VP Fuel, in 5 gal pails, I use C10 in the race bikes (no lead, non-oxygenated, ethanol free) and VP's "Small Engine Fuel" for the dual-sport bikes.

I can't find it anywhere at the pump, I don't know if it is legal to sell ethanol free gas at the pump in California.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks both on this.

So, what's the best option for pump gas--and for those that don't have Sonoco options (west coast)?.  Some years ago Chevron 91 octane, and 76 (same octane).