New Skills, Transferable From Bike To Bike?

Hi all i'm doing level one at Rockingham soon and ride a variety of different bikes including a Hayabusa, R1100RT and Yamaha R6 but it wasn't until I started doing track days that I realised how little i'd actually learnt after riding for over 26 years! then after reading the Twist books, I realised even more things i've been doing wrong doh! What I would like to know is this: If I do level one on my R6 how different is it going to be to put the lessons learned into practice on my Hayabusa, which is the main bike I use for the road? Obviously the Busa is a big heavy beast and not really the bike I would want to be doing CSS on. But I would like to think that given time and practice i'll be able to improve my riding on all bikes eg stepping off one and climbing aboard another.

Hi all i'm doing level one at Rockingham soon and ride a variety of different bikes including a Hayabusa, R1100RT and Yamaha R6 but it wasn't until I started doing track days that I realised how little i'd actually learnt after riding for over 26 years! then after reading the Twist books, I realised even more things i've been doing wrong doh! What I would like to know is this: If I do level one on my R6 how different is it going to be to put the lessons learned into practice on my Hayabusa, which is the main bike I use for the road? Obviously the Busa is a big heavy beast and not really the bike I would want to be doing CSS on. But I would like to think that given time and practice i'll be able to improve my riding on all bikes eg stepping off one and climbing aboard another.

I was worried about this myself before I took the 2-day camp last month in Las Vegas.

It all translates... after 2 days on their new ZX6-Rs, I flew home and was at a different track 2 days later on my newly track-prepped R6 (first time I'd ridden it in a month since I dropped it off at the shop). My street bike is a Daytona 675 - same lessons apply. I also picked up a new CBR1000RR (Fireblade) Repsol Replica - and the same skills helped tremendously with getting used to that bike as well.

My personal opinion - practice is practice. I've also done schools in the dirt (flat track style) to work on throttle control and understanding the limits of traction on a little 125cc Yamaha TTR. That taught me what to do when the back end starts coming loose - a lesson I got to apply twice in Las Vegas when I was a little too hot on the throttle coming out of turns and had the back start getting slippery.

Good luck and enjoy it - I learned a tremendous amount.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan that's good to know. I'm really looking forward to it, done a few track days now on the R6 and am sure that i'll benefit from level one, as I can see all the mistakes I'm making quite clearly but not exactly sure how to overcome them, I have an idea from reading the Twist books but it's never the same as someone there overseeing things.

We've done schools on everything from 125 gp bikes to Harley full dressers. The techniques trained were exactly the same. There is a difference what each bike can do, like the difference between what a full dresser can do and a 125---but overall, same basic concept.

Let us know if there is anythign you need clarified!

Best,

Cobie