First Time Track Day

Hello,

I've never been at the track day and I'll plan to get the trailer to bring my bike.

I'll be there by myself so can there be anyone to help unload/load bike once I arrive there?

Also for prep. do I need to flush out all coolant then fill with water?

Thanks.

Hello,

I've never been at the track day and I'll plan to get the trailer to bring my bike.

I'll be there by myself so can there be anyone to help unload/load bike once I arrive there?

Thanks.

Hi Motozine,

No problem, we can help you unload. There are usually a bunch of guys unloading, it's easy and we'll be happy to assist too, just let one of us know.

Prep is minimal: no coolant needs to be changed, if you want to tape up the glass and remove the mirrors, that helps, but we can do it that morning for you, no problem. We'll also do a basic tech inspection and set your tires too.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Best,

Cobie

Hello,

Thanks.

Hi Motozine,

No problem, we can help you unload. There are usually a bunch of guys unloading, it's easy and we'll be happy to assist too, just let one of us know.

Prep is minimal: no coolant needs to be changed, if you want to tape up the glass and remove the mirrors, that helps, but we can do it that morning for you, no problem. We'll also do a basic tech inspection and set your tires too.

Best,

Cobie

• 2 weeks later...
Just got a call for one spot this Friday @pocono.

One more about taping the glass, can I use blue masking tape use for painting?

The blue painters tape works best. One thought ... if you can, pull the fuse that controls your lights, both front and rear. The heat from the headlamp tends to melt the tape glue to the lens. If there's no heat, the tape pulls right off and leaves no residue.

Just got a call for one spot this Friday @pocono.

One more about taping the glass, can I use blue masking tape use for painting?

The blue painters tape works best. One thought ... if you can, pull the fuse that controls your lights, both front and rear. The heat from the headlamp tends to melt the tape glue to the lens. If there's no heat, the tape pulls right off and leaves no residue.

Thanks for the tip.

• 2 months later...
Hi Motozine,

Best,

Cobie

Is the coolant thing something set by CSS or the track?

Is the coolant thing something set by CSS or the track?

Richard;

I don't mean to counter the School's position but the issue with replacing engine coolant with water, water wetter or other "approved" solutions is pretty universal at every track or track club I have ridden with. It is both a safety and a courtsey issue. Coolant is very slick so if it gets on the track as a result of a leak or a crash, it requires clean up. That delays EVERYBODY's riding time and that is assuming that no one crashed as a result of riding over coolant on the track. Even if it isn't required by the School, it is still a good idea IMHO.

Kevin

Richard;

I don't meant to counter the School's position but the issue with replacing engine coolant with water, water wetter or other "approved" solutions is pretty universal at every track or track club I have ridden with. It is both a safety and a courtsey issue. Coolant is very slick so if it gets on the track as a result of a leak or a crash, it requires clean up. That delays EVERYBODY's riding time and that is assuming that no one crashed as a result of riding over coolant on the track. Even if it isn't required by the School, it is still a good idea IMHO.

Kevin

Thanks for the thoughts Kevin. I've gone back and forth on this with rlucas and a guy who's been a long-time corner worker for the CSS mid-Ohio event. This is the only track event I've heard of that didn't make it a requirement and I'm actually really surprised. We both plan to make the change regardless.

• 1 month later...

Here is the coolant issue, and our current policy on it:

For years we asked guys to replace it with water, Water Wetter, or something similar. Then we looked at how often it had been an issue with coolant being spilled (of any kind). Frankly, it was a non-issue. We couldn't easily recall any instances at the school where coolant was a problem, so we stopped requiring it a few years ago, and it hasn't been a problem once since then.

That being said, every racing organization would require it, some track day providers do, certainly nothing wrong with it, and in a racing situation one would want to do it. Pretty sure water also works better in some instances--it tranfers heat better, but boils lower and freezes higher than coolant. Not an issue for most races, but could be for some. I'll keep out of ice racing I think :)

Best,

CF