Las Vegas 2-day Camp

Saw the below 2006 post from Cobie about LVMS. Am thinking of signing up for this November's 2-day camp out there and would like to hear more from Cobie or anyone who's done the camp there. I've gone to the track's website and have looked at a graphic of the track, but would especially like more detail on what part of the track is used (the LVMS graphic doesn't show an area that is labeled as the infield circuit) and why it's good for working on cornering skills. Thnx. Kevin (in Reston, VA)

"We use the infield circuit (inside the stadium). Quite good for the schools that we run there, the 2-day camp. You get a lot of laps, and there is not much of a chance to rest, with just the one straightaway. Good for cornering junkies. Flat track (no elelvation changes), and the track is in pretty good condition."

Saw the below 2006 post from Cobie about LVMS. Am thinking of signing up for this November's 2-day camp out there and would like to hear more from Cobie or anyone who's done the camp there. I've gone to the track's website and have looked at a graphic of the track, but would especially like more detail on what part of the track is used (the LVMS graphic doesn't show an area that is labeled as the infield circuit) and why it's good for working on cornering skills. Thnx. Kevin (in Reston, VA)

"We use the infield circuit (inside the stadium). Quite good for the schools that we run there, the 2-day camp. You get a lot of laps, and there is not much of a chance to rest, with just the one straightaway. Good for cornering junkies. Flat track (no elelvation changes), and the track is in pretty good condition."

Hi Kevin,

We've done a lot of schools there, and here are some of the reasons we like it: there isn't much in the way of long straights. Good for us, we're not a drag race school :)

Many of the turns are also linked together, meaning one after the other. This will work a whole extra set of cornering skills, more so than longer tracks or tracks with a turn, then a straight, then another turn.

The pavement is in good shape, and pretty smooth and grippy. The track is fairly short in length so you get a lot of laps (not boring for sure) to practice. It's good for the coaches, we can see the whole track from most parts of it, so better for us to get more time with the students, we can even see them from another part of the track.

It's also one of the very few tracks that can be run in both directions, and we do. So, you'll get 2 tracks for the price of one. It's flat, which is good as it will work the visual skills pretty hard, and they are key.

Hope this helps, let me know if you want to know anything else, or in particular. I'll be gone next week doing schools at Miller.

Best,

Cobie

Thnx, Cobie. That all sounds good. Any way to point me toward a graphic that shows the portion of LVMS used by the 2-day camp? Perhaps you could pull up the interactive speedway map at this site and tell me if it shows the course you use (http://www.lvms.com/track%5Finfo/superspeedway/superspeedway%5Fmap/). Sorry if it seems like a silly question.

Thnx, Cobie. That all sounds good. Any way to point me toward a graphic that shows the portion of LVMS used by the 2-day camp? Perhaps you could pull up the interactive speedway map at this site and tell me if it shows the course you use (http://www.lvms.com/track%5Finfo/superspeedway/superspeedway%5Fmap/). Sorry if it seems like a silly question.

If you Google LVMS you can see the track used by the school. It is located in the infield. Actually, it looks as if there is more than one track, but the school combines the entire area to make one track. If memory serves me, there are nine distinct turns, including one large sweep which requires more than one input to get around properly. No part of the main track is used.

CSS will have it's trucks and classrooms located in the fourth garage if we are in the same spot as in years past. It's the garage furthest from the entrance tunnel and the medical complex.

LVMS is a very large complex, and there are several different tracks, many in use at the same time. Also, it is located next to Nellis AFB, so we often get to see some great air shows.

I'll probably be sitting in a corner somewhere, and hope to see you out there riding.

Jim

That's the detail I was looking for. Thnx!

Hi Guys,

Just now back in the office, and thanks for answering that question for me.

We just rode Laguna, with the new pavement---grippy!

Best,

CF

Hi Guys,

Just now back in the office, and thanks for answering that question for me.

We just rode Laguna, with the new pavement---grippy!

Best,

CF