Throttle Hand Positioning

Well, first off I just wanted to say thanks to all the CSS staff for the great level 1 experience I had at Laguna Seca.

One thing on my mind now, that I didn't realize while getting help on the steering bike, is just how to position the throttle hand. James' advice to rotate my hands so that I'm pushing more horizontally into the bars instead of angled made me feel more "agile" with the bike, especially with the quick-turn. I never realized how much wasted force I was inputting into the bars by pressing at an angle. The problem is that I'm not sure how to position my throttle hand normally to achieve this optimal position while riding. If I set it up at closed throttle, I limit my ability to fully open the throttle. Looking back on the remainder of the day, I think I was subconsciously using a single standard position where my hand would be in the optimal position at a partial (approx 1/5th way) throttle situation.

Do you start off with the wrist in the optimal position at closed throttle and regrip as you open the throttle? Or do you set a sort of intermediate compromise position where you're angled higher at closed throttle and at or near the optimal wrist position at a partial throttle situation? I wish I had thought of these issues and clarified them while doing the exercise on Wednesday. haha.

Well, first off I just wanted to say thanks to all the CSS staff for the great level 1 experience I had at Laguna Seca.

One thing on my mind now, that I didn't realize while getting help on the steering bike, is just how to position the throttle hand. James' advice to rotate my hands so that I'm pushing more horizontally into the bars instead of angled made me feel more "agile" with the bike, especially with the quick-turn. I never realized how much wasted force I was inputting into the bars by pressing at an angle. The problem is that I'm not sure how to position my throttle hand normally to achieve this optimal position while riding. If I set it up at closed throttle, I limit my ability to fully open the throttle. Looking back on the remainder of the day, I think I was subconsciously using a single standard position where my hand would be in the optimal position at a partial (approx 1/5th way) throttle situation.

Do you start off with the wrist in the optimal position at closed throttle and regrip as you open the throttle? Or do you set a sort of intermediate compromise position where you're angled higher at closed throttle and at or near the optimal wrist position at a partial throttle situation? I wish I had thought of these issues and clarified them while doing the exercise on Wednesday. haha.

Apollo,

You really have the answer to this. While you are pushing the bar to turn the bike right you do want to be as "elbows down" as possible for the direct push to the bars. As you finish your steering input or braking you do want to reposition your hand/wrist so you can roll on the throttle. Starting from too low will make that difficult. starting from too high is uncomfortable for most riders but it really is personal preference. The other solution is to get a 1/4 turn throttle and all your problems are solved because you can turn it to wide open from almost any positioning of your hand and wrist.

Another thing to think about is being in a comfortable position so you can get the initial throttle on to be as in control and smooth as possible. You want that initial moment when you transition from off the gas to on to be a clean transition. Pick the wrist position that allows you to do that the best and you will probably have the answer.

Best,

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Keith.

This definitely clarified it for me. All I can say is WOW. Thanks again to you guys. I'm inputting steering and getting the bike to respond much faster since Laguna. When I find the time, I'll definitely be back for level 2.

-Allard