What Is The ..........

01killerR1

Really, you don't need to go all that fast. Just hang off.

The point though, isn't to drag a knee. Dragging a knee/calf/elbow is a by-product of adding speed to a corner, not taking speed away.

If you're going slow, you have no need to drag a knee. Hell, most of the times if you're going fast you don't "need" to drag a knee.

As others have suggested, don't worry about the knee; if you continue to make progress, it WILL happen. I found that focusing on the specific cornering tools that Keith and the School teach, it became a bi-product of cornering and not a goal unto itself.

Kevin Kane

• 1 month later...

I almost understand the fixation with knee dragging!

But it should not be your focus while riding.

If you spend that much time thinking about dragging a knee in a corner while riding how do you make the corner at all?

Think back to the first level or first book of Code's, just were are you spending your money on this corner? It sounds like you are spending it on trying to drag knee!

If you want your knee pucks scraped so bad that you drive around at 7 to 10 miles per hour in a parking lot circle why not just use a belt sander or something then lie about how you did it. Then go ride and consentrate on all your skills, being smooth and lines etc. when your speed is right for the corner it will just happen

I think for allot of us newbie people to sportbike riding, we just have to get the "knee drag" out of our system to keep going. I can't afford to do schools but can hit the track a few times a year. After I got my knee down, it helped me learn where the bike was and my riding position. I do it allot less now but I keep the knee just below the peg scraping level. That's my "curb feeler" and for now I'll stick with it. :D

I think one other thing that has been said somewhere on here before is to also push your knee back as well as out when you are hangin and leanin. Maybe this just makes you stick your knee out farther but it has been said more then once.

The other thing I will say is not to look down in the turn, don't look down to see how far you knee is away from the ground.....

....look down, go down.

My goal this summer is simply to use some of that rubber out near the edges before it gets old and rotted *S*. The straight poop seems to be, improve your technique, increace your speed for a given turn...... Viola', what was that tugging on my sliders, well lookie there, dun scraped em all up.

I will of course use the belt sander as a last resort ONLY!!! *LOL*

Thanks for the replies,

I have been riding since 79 so I'm not new to the sport. Just here in the last year or so has gettin' the knee down been a goal :blink:

I've just heard or read stories of people draggin' a knee at slow speeds and was just wonderin' what the low limit was. To see the guys on T.V. in hard corners draggin' their knee at what appears to be very slow speed, I was just wantin' to know the way it's done and how slow one can go to achieve it.

And as far as a sander goes, I'll leave that as a last resort as you've stated ;)

79?!?!? suddenly I don't feel quite so old *S*.

You are basically in the exact same situation as I, several decades of experiance but never really pushing it all the way to the edge.

My fear was street tires that wouldn't hold as advertized, seems that is not the case for todays street sport compositions.

Good to have you aboard, now I don't feel like the only "seasoned vet".

Well if ya wanna feel better and worse at the same time, I was 44 last year before I got a knee and my son last Nov. at the age of 13 with about no riding experience at all and 2nd track day was getting a knee all day on his EX250..... :blink:

Like all the other guys have said, it isn't that important anymore. I just need to learn how to power slide that "ho" now!!!! :lol::lol:

so this board has a great more seasoned riders then the young chompin at the bit cycle jocks. Hummm now isn't that interesting... I've asked this question other places but never here, how old is to old to pilot cafe' racers?

... Perhaps the young and stupid have been transformed into the old and wise..... well maybe the wise part is still in the works.

I really think that for kids the ability to climb the learning curve is much easier, not so worried about taking a tumble, things seem to heal better at 15 then they do a 40 and oh, lets not forget the money to purchase as well as, to fix the machine will most likely not be comming out of their pocket. The bike isn't their primary mode of transportation to and from work.....

..... a great many more factors go into drawing "the line" at 40 then went into the decission making process at 17. Hell the decission making process at 17 was "do chicks dig it?"

Kneeing down is proof that one has acheaved the skill to put on significant lean angle, more lean then the normal street rider. It becomes a rite of passage, if you can do that you are in the club. That is why so much time and plastic fairing pieces are spent trying to acheave that moment. For those who have, that moment becomes simply a foot note on an even longer quest. The "negative lap time", to go so fast that you arive at the finish line before you left or so Einstine would have us believe. The knee down is an obtainable goal (one of many), the negative lap time isn't *LOL*

Well put Rifleman(Chuck Connors.. :lol: )! I don't think your ever too old, just gotta be willing to take the spill if it happens. Haven't had my spill YET, but I'm sure it's gonna be a highside... :o just to let me know what happens when your fubar out on the track. I guess we're getting a little off topic here aren't we. That's ok, the board needs some humor to it... :lol: