Level 3 & 4 - Rent Or Bring My Scooter?

I'm planning on taking level 3 & 4 next year (waiting on the schedule.....). I am trying to decide whether I will bring my bike or rent the school's. I read somewhere that it is prefered that students bring their own bike for level 3 & 4. I'd like to better understand the reasoning for that.

My bike is old (like Jurassic old) and just finished having its suspension upgraded and tuned (works shock in back, new springs and emulators in front) so it is tuned about as well as it can be. Plus, I plan to purchase a new bike (or at least from the Holocene). So all the human to bike interfacing stuff has to transfer from my 99 ZX6e to whatever 08/09 model I buy (likely to be a ZX6R).

The real reason I'm asking is b/c I'm lazy. If it all works out right I plan to watch the AMA race at Barber on Sunday and then do school on Monday and Tuesday. If I can just fly out and rent a car it's a lot easier (throw gear in one bag, underwear & tooth brush in the other and I'm off). But if there is really a compelling reason to drag my bike out I'll dig up a trailer and do it.

Thanks.

I'm planning on taking level 3 & 4 next year (waiting on the schedule.....). I am trying to decide whether I will bring my bike or rent the school's. I read somewhere that it is prefered that students bring their own bike for level 3 & 4. I'd like to better understand the reasoning for that.

My bike is old (like Jurassic old) and just finished having its suspension upgraded and tuned (works shock in back, new springs and emulators in front) so it is tuned about as well as it can be. Plus, I plan to purchase a new bike (or at least from the Holocene). So all the human to bike interfacing stuff has to transfer from my 99 ZX6e to whatever 08/09 model I buy (likely to be a ZX6R).

The real reason I'm asking is b/c I'm lazy. If it all works out right I plan to watch the AMA race at Barber on Sunday and then do school on Monday and Tuesday. If I can just fly out and rent a car it's a lot easier (throw gear in one bag, underwear & tooth brush in the other and I'm off). But if there is really a compelling reason to drag my bike out I'll dig up a trailer and do it.

Thanks.

Tweek;

If you do plan on purchasing an '08/09 ZX6R, then I would recommend riding their bike. Their fleet is new this season (I think) so it will be much closer in characteristics in every way to an '08 or '09 model so there won't be a transition/adjustment for you to deal with if you ride on their bike.

I have flown cross country to both Streets of Willow Springs and to Laguna Seca, flew to VIR and am still planning on flying to Barber (one of these years). It is so-o-o-o-o much easier than loading & hauling a trailer - especially since their bikes are so close to your regular ride. I ride a twin so the adjustment for me to an in-line four is always a unique challange but the convenience of not dealing with all of hastle of driving a great distance, the minor wrenching, the refueling and general trackside maintenance is a very attractive way to look at the two choices.

...fwiw.

Kevin

I always recommend using the school's bike for a number of reasons.

My favorite reason is because their bike's are very well set up and prepared for the track and will allow you to experience just what a properly set up track prepped bike is SUPPOSED to feel like.

(It always uesd to mess with my head to get back on my street bike after riding a school bike all day and becoming adapted to it...lol)

Moreover, riding a street bike on track is like, well ... like riding a street bike anywhere else. It feels like the same bike and acts like the same bike and compared to what is available on the school bikes, IMO, it could be limiting to riders who really want to get what it feels like to track ride, so to speak. That doesn't mean that riding your own bike will not allow you to perform the drills properly or reduce one's learning experience in any way ... except for learning what a really well set up track machine feels like. ;)

Right now I have a 99 ZX6e. We just installed a Works shock on the rear, and 1Kg front springs w/ emulators. Monday (11/5) is a track day so we'll make whatever adjustments are needed then, but overall I doubt there will be much more to do to this bike after the shop finishes up. The biggest issue left will be tuning the engine so it runs perfectly.

If there was a track nearby that CSS came to then I'd probably drag my bike out. But Barber is as close as CSS gets to my house and I think I'm going to indulge in being lazy. It's nice just packing bags, getting on a plane and not having to worry about things. Overall I'm pretty confident Keith and his gang will make me faster regardless of the bike I happen to be riding at the moment.

Now if they'd only hurry up and post that 2008 schedule so I can make my plans...... :)

Lazy works for me, too.

;)

The new bike sounds hot! Is it for the street or for the track? Or both?

Lazy works for me, too.

;)

not sure which new bike you are refering to.....

the 99 ZX6e (new to me, but.....) is mostly for the track. I ride it on the street occasionally, but w/o mirrors I'm doing it less and less.

the bike to be (probably a 08/09 ZX6R) will see some track time, but it won't be dedicated.

Lazy works for me, too.

;)

not sure which new bike you are refering to.....

the 99 ZX6e (new to me, but.....) is mostly for the track. I ride it on the street occasionally, but w/o mirrors I'm doing it less and less.

the bike to be (probably a 08/09 ZX6R) will see some track time, but it won't be dedicated.

Whoops, my bad. I tend to skim thru stuff when I have a minute to spare and I see now I got confused.

So, what spring did you use for the Works shock? Did you use the stock spring or a new one?

How do you like the 1 kg springs up front? Do they feel too "hard" for riding on the street?

I don't have a specific frame of reference for the fork spring rating (or shock), do they require much pre-load? Less than before?

I weight 220lbs and the shock is setup for 250lbs so it is about right for me in full gear.

The front end is stiff and you definately feel everything, but I like that. The 6e suspension from the factory is way soft. The difference between stock and what I have now is simply amazing. The bike's handling is super responive to inputs. Before, leaning over in a turn just felt vague and slow. Now its razor sharp and immediate. I so can't wait for Monday.