2-day Camp Or Single Day ?

Hi All, it's now a little over a year that I commute with my beautiful zzr600, and although I feel like I have improved a lot since day 1, I'd like to get on the track and be coached by someone that knows what he's talking about, so my choice is CSS.

Now the problem is, is it better to do two 2 day camp to go from Level I to Level IV or better four 1 day session?

A part form the monetary point of view $4500 instead of $2600 (supposed I use the school bike), what are other pros/cons?

Thanks everybody for the help.

Thanks

Let us know if this answers your questions or if you have any more. 2-day camps have been very popular with the students that can afford them, they get spoiled with the amount of service, track time, coaching ration (1 coach for 2 students) riding time (2 more sessions, if they can handle it:)), and the amount of riders on the track (only 13-14 students, max per group).

I think 2 days (even if not a 2-day camp) is often better than one. It's a steep learning curve initially, the 2nd day usually helps cement the skills, and students aren't in any kind of a rush when they know they will be there 2-days.

Best,

Cobie

Thanks

Let us know if this answers your questions or if you have any more. 2-day camps have been very popular with the students that can afford them, they get spoiled with the amount of service, track time, coaching ration (1 coach for 2 students) riding time (2 more sessions, if they can handle it:)), and the amount of riders on the track (only 13-14 students, max per group).

I think 2 days (even if not a 2-day camp) is often better than one. It's a steep learning curve initially, the 2nd day usually helps cement the skills, and students aren't in any kind of a rush when they know they will be there 2-days.

Best,

Cobie

How long is a track session?

How many sessions during the single day?

How many people?

Coaching ratio?

Thanks again.

Fabio

ITABruto:

Choosing between the two day camps and single day schools depends a lot on your finances. You get more attention in the two day camps, and a bit more track time. However, you need to be in decent physical shape, and really good mental shape, to get the most out of the two day camps. And they are more expensive. (But I'm signed up for a second 2-day camp this spring, so I'd have to say that I believe in their value!)

Either way you go, you will be getting exposure to a LOT of new riding stuff, and you will also be dealing with a lot of new non-riding impressions. Among these might be: 1st time in the CSS routine, 1st time on a closed track, 1st time with specific objectives to accomplish at every turn, 1st time with on-track coaching, 1st time in a track suit & boots.

Even for riders with a lot of street experience, this is a huge amount to assimilate in one day, and you will be TIRED at the end of the first day. My experience has been that I was more tired at the end of my first CSS day than after ANY of the subsequent days-- and I've now taken Level IV 3 times, and been to the CodeRACE two day camp. You need to assess whether you can get enough rejuvenation overnight in a hotel bed (unless you are fortunate enough to live close to the track) to come back and do it again starting at 7AM the next day.

Also, in the days immediately after my Level I class, I realized that I didn't get as much out of it as I could have. (My "Type A" personality got in the way on the track, and I spent too much effort trying to go "fast" (I wasn't), and too little effort trying to absorb and understand what was being taught.) I NEEDED the time after that first day to reflect on the experience, and to get everything I was capable of getting out of my second and subsequent classes.

You'll probably get your first day righter than I did. But even so, if you haven't experienced the Superbike School, and you are relatively new to motorcycling, I suggest trying a single day school for your first experience.

Having said that, I live in San Diego, and the travel to any CSS track is long enough that I have done either 2-day camps or two back-to-back single day sessions since my Level I class-- just to economize on travel costs. I have never regretted this, but despite knowing the CSS routine well now, and having no anxiety about what the experience will be like, some of my early laps on the second days aren't pretty. (Of course, I'm older than dirt-- younger people who don't fly a desk every day might find the second day a piece of cake.) However, after a few laps, things sort out. I have found that I don't tend to go faster on the second days, but I do solidify the previous day's accomplishments really well and learn the new material a bit faster.

Hope the previous helps, but I have one other comment I'd like to make. Your post seems to indicate that your goal is to achieve Level IV. That's OK, but the Level certificates are not what's at the heart of this experience. Please, please consider starting the CSS experience with the intent to learn, rather than the intent to be "accredited". You could spend a lot of money doing four days (whether 2-day camps, or single day classes) and come away with four certificates, and not know much more than you do now. Alternatively, you could open yourself up to some pretty amazing knowledge and skill enhancements and not worry about getting to Level IV (or around the track) in the quickest possible time. This (paradoxically) requires that you relax, and focus on what some amazingly knowledgable and skilled (and caring) CSS instructors and coaches have to offer.

Best of Luck!

-Eric

How long is a track session?

How many sessions during the single day?

How many people?

Coaching ratio?

Thanks again.

Fabio

Fabio,

I saw Eric's nice response, I'll just add a few things:

Track sessions are typically 20-25 minutes. Regular schools have 5 sessions, while the 2 day camp has 7. Most are pretty beat and some take breaks at the 2 day camps (7 sessions is a lot in one day). Coaching ratio is 3 - 1 at a regular school, and 2 -1 at 2-day camp.

Some riders like Eric prefer to take a day and then let it sink in. My biased opinion is that we usually get a better result with 2 days back to back (whether a 2-day camp or 2 single days). This especially for a first time to the track and/or first time to the school.

There are a few pluses with this, one being simply that the rider doesn't presssure himself if he knows he has 2 days. With only 1 day, some tend to try and do too much. Another is on the 2nd day we can often really maximixe the coaching, especially if the student lets us know how it went. Did he do really well with that particular coach? Were there things he wasn't quite clear on? With a 2nd day (while there is a lot of information) I think we get a overall better result.

Let us know if you have any other questions we are also in the during the day, feel free to call any time.

Best,

Cobie