Having Problems Locking My Knee

I've done the L1 - L3 classes, and on the class bikes, I was really able to lock my knee into the tank. There's a really nice pronounced "lip" (for lack of a better term).

I have a GSXR-1000, and the tank doesn't have such a lip, and I'm finding it hard to lock in. I've got StompGrips on, but it still doesn't feel as positive as I would like.

I was looking at some video of some of the Suzuki guys (Mladin, Spies, and Yates), and it looked like they weren't really using their knees, but were just using their feet. I really liked the way the class bikes felt, and if there's a different technique, I'd love to hear it. I just don't feel as confident that I'm locked in.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I've done the L1 - L3 classes, and on the class bikes, I was really able to lock my knee into the tank. There's a really nice pronounced "lip" (for lack of a better term).

I have a GSXR-1000, and the tank doesn't have such a lip, and I'm finding it hard to lock in. I've got StompGrips on, but it still doesn't feel as positive as I would like.

I was looking at some video of some of the Suzuki guys (Mladin, Spies, and Yates), and it looked like they weren't really using their knees, but were just using their feet. I really liked the way the class bikes felt, and if there's a different technique, I'd love to hear it. I just don't feel as confident that I'm locked in.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Juggler,

Are you jamming your leg up, doing a "calf raise" and also driving the outside leg into the tank? Did you get on the lean bike at Level 2, and if so do you recall what the coach went over when you got trained on that?

Best,

C

Juggler,

Are you jamming your leg up, doing a "calf raise" and also driving the outside leg into the tank? Did you get on the lean bike at Level 2, and if so do you recall what the coach went over when you got trained on that?

Best,

C

Cobie,

Thanks for responding. I am doing a "calf raise", and trying to drive my leg into the tank. With the tank being flatter on my bike, it's hard to wedge my knee against it. I didn't have this issue on the School's bikes (there was a better pocket).

I did get on the lean bike (actually, you were there), but don't remember the exact details.

I'll play around with this some more. Worst-case scenario is that I ask you about it when I see you at VIR later this year. :)

Thanks again.

--Alan

Juggler,

Best,

C

Cobie,

Thanks for responding. I am doing a "calf raise", and trying to drive my leg into the tank. With the tank being flatter on my bike, it's hard to wedge my knee against it. I didn't have this issue on the School's bikes (there was a better pocket).

I did get on the lean bike (actually, you were there), but don't remember the exact details.

I'll play around with this some more. Worst-case scenario is that I ask you about it when I see you at VIR later this year. :)

Thanks again.

--Alan

Alan,

On the lean bike, you would have been coached to not sit too close, so the outside leg can have a good line of contact with the tank. You might check this one point, even a little bit too close can get one twisted and not well anchored.

C