Preparing For Barber

I've never ridden Barber's track so I've been doing a little homework before this coming weekend. Here are a few things that might help out:

Videos:

Track Maps:

http://www.barbermotorsports.com/trackmaps.php

Nothing replaces actually going there and riding, but you can at least arrive with some idea where the road is going.

Also - arrive early or stay late so you can check out the museum. I plan to spend Friday afternoon checking the place out.

Thanks for those links, tweek. They help to see where the track goes and they give a good view of other riders doing it right. Not sure what the guy with the camera was up to. His lines were all wrong. Maybe he was doing that to get cool dramatic footage of passing and being passed perhaps? Anyway, to anyone who watched that: do not use the camera bike as a guide!

My boss brought in a video tape of the AMA races from Barber and Fontana last week. I watched part of it playing in the background at work Saturday and the camera angles at Barber looked great. I can't wait to borrow it! (Yeah, I have a pretty cool job (and boss)!) Anyway, perhaps we can find a torrent of that broadcast before you leave?

Good luck at the school!

racer

yeah - the camera bike's lines are nuts, but the footage is good enough to get an idea of how the track is hooked up. Looks like a nice tour of the Birmingham country side.

The main thing in regard to lines is: make sure it starts and ends on the black stuff not the green stuff. :)

yeah - the camera bike's lines are nuts, but the footage is good enough to get an idea of how the track is hooked up. Looks like a nice tour of the Birmingham country side.

The main thing in regard to lines is: make sure it starts and ends on the black stuff not the green stuff. :)

You get a whole different perspective if you get a chance to walk the track. Something you won't see on video or while riding it. Maybe the powers that be will let you walk it Friday if you get there early enough.

I get to Birmingham around 10a so I have plenty of time. I want to spend time in the museum. If they'll let I'll see if I can walk around the ring road, sense mr. code's students will be on the track I dont think he'd be too happy with me actually walking the track.

it is funny - I got started with autocross. walking the course is a critical part of the autocross ritual. I'm surprised that walking the course isnt practiced on the track. you do get a better view on your feet.

Amazing weekend! Jeff, Mike, Cobie, Keith, Dylan and the rest of the team - great job. I absolutely love these schools and the job you guys do. Too bad you can't control the weather or the 11 o'clock sunday nap time.

Level 3 really does tie things together. The changes in my riding are dramatic. They also are highlighting what we drug out in level 4 - I need to get better reference points. I scared the guru with my turn 1 'reference points'.

See you guys next year for level 4.2 & 4.3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys and gals.

I am booked with the CSS for a Level 1 day at Barber in August (23rd) and I really appreciate the info posted here. I have been studying Barber for the last few weeks to learn as much about the track as I can before I get there.

Anyway, the info here was really helpful, thanks again.

Best Regards.

Chris.