How Deep To Brake?

How deep do you brake into a turn?

That was one of the things in my L1 i was a little confused about as braking wasn't covered much, is it covered in the later levels?

I was going to put my normal procedure here but would like to hear from you guys and gals first if that's ok :)

How deep do you brake into a turn?

That was one of the things in my L1 i was a little confused about as braking wasn't covered much, is it covered in the later levels?

I was going to put my normal procedure here but would like to hear from you guys and gals first if that's ok :)

Hi Rick,

Well, you'll likely get a few lively answers to that one. There is of course more and better info in the Twist books, but one comment on the subject would be--how well can you get your corner entry speed set, and make sure the other skills you learned in Level 1 don't go out the window?

Here's a nice comparison: at our local track, if a student brakes into the 1:40's he's going pretty well, 1:30's doing very well, and below a 1:30 would be smoking for a student. I had a coach do 1 gear no brakes and did a '28.

C

I'd agree there Cobie.. it seems that it is hard to think you are pushing on unless you are actually braking at the last minute and then off hte brakes and on the gas, however when in company (on the road) i am much faster than my mates, but on the track i feel i need to brake to the apex... maybe this is due to the extra amounf of leeway in track riding.

Hey Rick,

That is a pretty loaded question. If you haven't done so, read through the 'sticky' at the top of this forum about trail-braking. Very interesting stuff.

One particular quote made by Stu Smith really sums up trail-braking.

'Trail braking can be useful in corners where your SLOWEST SPEED IS SOMEWHERE PAST THE POINT WHERE YOU TURN IN. Double Apex corners, decreasing radius, things like that.'