Braking With A Ducati

Hello,

A few days ago I bought a Ducati 749 S and had my first track day on this bike last week.

The thing is, that the bike's tank is so narrow compared to the Japanese bikes, that I can't get a grip on it with my feet while braking. So I was charging my front end with lots of weight since I can't have my arms loose enough.

Are there any other techniques that I could use to overcome this problem?

Does the bike have Stomp Grip on it ? If not you may want to give it a try. My riding partner has it on his 848 and has no issues on the track.

No, but I would prefer to try and do something to enhance my technique and get to know the bike better first.

Adding something to it will be my last solution .

Does the bike have Stomp Grip on it ? If not you may want to give it a try. My riding partner has it on his 848 and has no issues on the track.

No, but I would prefer to try and do something to enhance my technique and get to know the bike better first.

Adding something to it will be my last solution .

Petros;

You may have answered your own question. There is a technique to riding any bike, you're just going through the adjustment to find yours. That said, I have a street 996 and a track only 748SPS and it was more challanging to "lock in" at first but I figured out how. This season I decided to try the Tech Spec Snake Skin pads and it became sooooo-o-o much easier that I regretted waiting for as long as I did to get them. YRMV.

Kevin

Hello,

A few days ago I bought a Ducati 749 S and had my first track day on this bike last week.

The thing is, that the bike's tank is so narrow compared to the Japanese bikes, that I can't get a grip on it with my feet while braking. So I was charging my front end with lots of weight since I can't have my arms loose enough.

There are a few pieces to this, so first question is have you done any of the schools, levels 1-3? I only ask to know if I can refer to something that you might have been trained on.

The next thing, both Stomp Grip and Tech Spec were mentioned: they are a great aid, and make the job of holding on to the bike a lot easier.

One question about what you posted: you said you can't get a grip o the tank with your feet--what are you trying to do now, how are you attempting to hold on to the bike under braking?

Best,

Cobie

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

There are a few pieces to this, so first question is have you done any of the schools, levels 1-3? I only ask to know if I can refer to something that you might have been trained on.

The next thing, both Stomp Grip and Tech Spec were mentioned: they are a great aid, and make the job of holding on to the bike a lot easier.

One question about what you posted: you said you can't get a grip o the tank with your feet--what are you trying to do now, how are you attempting to hold on to the bike under braking?

Best,

Cobie

I've done twice the 0-300(0300 is a Greek motorcycle magazine) riding school which is more or less like CSS level 1. Here at Greece we call it pre-level and you can learn about gyroscopic effect, throttle control, braking, body position and concatenation on your moves.

All these are being teached in an one day school of 4 theory and 4 practice sessions.

Regarding your second question, alternatively, I've tried to get in turning position earlier and use the inside of my outside leg as a stopper at the back of the tank.

This did not seem to help a lot, especially while braking from high speeds as leather suits have elastic pieces at the adductor area and you cant get a good grip.

The second thing that I've tried, is pressing on the pegs so much that my butt is not touching the saddle and keeping my elbows a little more bended(not that easy cause I am very short).

This one seemed to help things, but I don't know if I can do it consecutively during a track day session.

PS

Sorry for my Greeklish English. Hope you can understand what I am trying to say.

Regards,

Petros

I quickly found that Stomp Grip is the solution. If you try to learn on the bike without it, you are making this a lot harder on yourself. I'm guessing you fell in love with the track, and that you'll do it again. And again. And..... You might as well get the Stomp Grip.

I tried changing body position in preparation for the corner in advance, and it makes braking that much harder. You shift the pressure back to the bars, and control gets harder and braking becomes more desperate. I'm comfortable enough with track riding to know that if something doesn't work, it makes riding harder in half a trackday worth of effort, and no one else does it, it's probably not a good idea. Even if you keep trying it without the grip, don't shift your position without being adequately decelerated.

Also if you are going to keep trying to learn the bike without assistance, I don't know if it's going to help switching the pressure to the feet. I'd suggest keeping the pressure on the thighs and working on finding a position doing it that way. Someone else might have more experience with this, as I don't really know of anyone who uses that technique.

I have a friend that actually uses grip tape from a skateboard. I can't wait to see what his leathers look like a couple trackdays from now.

I bet that your friend is going to promote a new fashion with suede suits.

I copied that technique from Enduro riding (as I derive from off road racing). In off road's braking procedure, your butt should be lifted from the saddle and moved way back near the rear fender and your elbows should be bended of course.

Anyway, I'll try to figure it out for a couple of track days and if not, I'll buy the Stomp Grips.

Can they be removed easily in case I want to?

Thanks for answering

Petros

Anyway, I'll try to figure it out for a couple of track days and if not, I'll buy the Stomp Grips.

Can they be removed easily in case I want to?

Petros;

I have tried both but I bought Tech Spec Snake Skins. IMHO, They do a better job because the surface is more uniform. Also the Tech Spec's do come off if you want to remove them. I do not know about Stomp Grips.

Kevin

I've never heard of Tech Spec Snake Skins, but will look them up.

As far as Stomp Grip removal; it shouldn't be that hard. You might need some Goo Gone type adhesive remover, but the Stomp Grip itself peels off. There was a guy at the track on a 748 today, but I never remembered to ask him. He was a beginner, so I don't even know if he would know what I would have been asking. I did remember to look at the tank, and it was thin.

As far as Stomp Grip removal; it shouldn't be that hard. You might need some Goo Gone type adhesive remover, but the Stomp Grip itself peels off. There was a guy at the track on a 748 today, but I never remembered to ask him. He was a beginner, so I don't even know if he would know what I would have been asking. I did remember to look at the tank, and it was thin.

We have tried them both, and for sheer grip, the stomp grip is very good. That's what I'd use if I was racing.

The tech spec works well all around, and has worked well for us.

CF

We have tried them both, and for sheer grip, the stomp grip is very good. That's what I'd use if I was racing.

The tech spec works well all around, and has worked well for us.

CF

Stomp Grip works great on the track, however, if you wear anything other than leather on the street you will def. feel them. They can hurt! The thing that I found though was that if im going to be riding where im hard on the brakes or leaning that much I have leather on anyway. They will rub on your leathers quite a bit. Mine are abit scuffed on the inside thigh and knee area. If you want something for all around help and comfort I would go w/ the Tech Spec grips!

Stomp Grip works great on the track, however, if you wear anything other than leather on the street you will def. feel them. They can hurt! The thing that I found though was that if im going to be riding where im hard on the brakes or leaning that much I have leather on anyway. They will rub on your leathers quite a bit. Mine are abit scuffed on the inside thigh and knee area. If you want something for all around help and comfort I would go w/ the Tech Spec grips!

Makes sense on that. I didn't recall any scuffing of my leathers back when we had them on the coach bikes, so thanks for the info.

CF