Dunlop Qualifiers

skyler

HI. I WANTED TO KNOW IF YOUR TIRES ARE PROPERLY WARMED ON A TRACK CAN THEY STILL SLIDE OUT? WHAT WOULD MAKE THIS HAPPEN. I HAVE DUNLOP QUALIFIERS AND RAN 3 1/2 LAPS AT BIG WILLOW AND THEN MY REAR TIRE SLID OUT? WHAT COULD HAVE MADE THIS HAPPEN?

Change in lean angle while adding gas? What level and drill were you in when you went down? The tire needs to flex quite a bit to build up heat. You could do 10 laps and still not have your tires hot enough based on your riding. That's why I asked what drill you were in. A lot of guys were adjusting in turns until they put the turn points on the track.

By the way, all CAPS signifies yelling on message boards.

HI. I WANTED TO KNOW IF YOUR TIRES ARE PROPERLY WARMED ON A TRACK CAN THEY STILL SLIDE OUT? WHAT WOULD MAKE THIS HAPPEN. I HAVE DUNLOP QUALIFIERS AND RAN 3 1/2 LAPS AT BIG WILLOW AND THEN MY REAR TIRE SLID OUT? WHAT COULD HAVE MADE THIS HAPPEN?

Change in lean angle while adding gas? What level and drill were you in when you went down? The tire needs to flex quite a bit to build up heat. You could do 10 laps and still not have your tires hot enough based on your riding. That's why I asked what drill you were in. A lot of guys were adjusting in turns until they put the turn points on the track.

By the way, all CAPS signifies yelling on message boards.

oh sorry.. it just looks cool. but im level 4 and practicing body positioning mainly hip flick. but on turn 1 of big willow its pretty fast and my tires stuck. turn 3 i added more lean angle and the bike slide out. i was just wondering if tires could be the problem. i know its mostly the rider who adds gas too fast or is adjusting lean throughout the corner

oh sorry.. it just looks cool. but im level 4 and practicing body positioning mainly hip flick. but on turn 1 of big willow its pretty fast and my tires stuck. turn 3 i added more lean angle and the bike slide out. i was just wondering if tires could be the problem. i know its mostly the rider who adds gas too fast or is adjusting lean throughout the corner

Here is the deadly combo--adding lean angle, adding throttle at the same time.

If the tires were warmed up (both sides), and you said you added lean angle, wonder if a little throttle was coming on at the same time. We see it a lot.

Best,

CF

well it happened extremely fast. like i was sliding and then immidiatly tried to remember what happened but couldnt. I didnt just gun the throttle on though. when i set my lean i was at the point where i slowly roll on but i cant remember anything much afetr that. but low slides are rarely caused by the tires right? its mostly rider error.

well it happened extremely fast. like i was sliding and then immidiatly tried to remember what happened but couldnt. I didnt just gun the throttle on though. when i set my lean i was at the point where i slowly roll on but i cant remember anything much afetr that. but low slides are rarely caused by the tires right? its mostly rider error.

Skyler,

Yeah, in the end it's going to be rider error, hard to esape that one :)

OK, here's the deal: if the throttle is coming on nicely (you said you didn't gun it), and the tires were warmed up, then the tires will give you a nice warning, you won't all of a sudden be down. But, if a little lean angle is added at the same time==deadly combo. Keith's article on the bands of traction covers some good info on this, you just go past the different bands and are sliding, thinking, "Now what the hell just happened there?" Irritating for sure.

C

Skyler,

Yeah, in the end it's going to be rider error, hard to esape that one :)

OK, here's the deal: if the throttle is coming on nicely (you said you didn't gun it), and the tires were warmed up, then the tires will give you a nice warning, you won't all of a sudden be down. But, if a little lean angle is added at the same time==deadly combo. Keith's article on the bands of traction covers some good info on this, you just go past the different bands and are sliding, thinking, "Now what the hell just happened there?" Irritating for sure.

C

so the tires will give me a warning before they slip, if their warm and i add throttle too much right?

so the tires will give me a warning before they slip, if their warm and i add throttle too much right?

If you don't get too greedy with it, they will give you warning. I was just re-reading the chapters in Twist 2 on this, good stuff if you haven't looked it over lately. He covers all the different pieces, and what the warnings/results of not having good T/Control.

But if it's good, you will not get a rude surprise--that is also assuming you aren't making other errors at the same time.

C

If you don't get too greedy with it, they will give you warning. I was just re-reading the chapters in Twist 2 on this, good stuff if you haven't looked it over lately. He covers all the different pieces, and what the warnings/results of not having good T/Control.

But if it's good, you will not get a rude surprise--that is also assuming you aren't making other errors at the same time.

C

thank you for all your help on this topic -skyler