Newbie, Looking To Learn

Good morning all,

I purchased an 08 R6 last summer and it is a complete change from the last bike I owned back in 1996 (Suzuki Katana). I took a twelve year layoff from riding, due to more responsibilities ie...kids. Now that I have some free time and they are little more self sufficient I decided to purchase a new bike.

I am in the military and one of the hot topics is "safety". I have been researching the correct riding styles for these high performance machines. I have purchased both TOW I and II, great books by the way. I am going to retake the MSF course for refresher this Spring and enjoy the spring/summer days when they get here.

One of my big problems so far since I have been riding is twistie roads. Everything else I am comfortable with ie...highways and such. I just seem to not fully trust that the bike will not slip out from beneath me and the limits the bike can be pushed. I know that my posture on the bike is garbage and this is why I am on the forum. Looking for great tips and hopefully in time the confidence will get better. I have never been to a trackday and don't know that I will quite yet. For me, I enjoy just riding on the roads.

Thanks

One of my big problems so far since I have been riding is twistie roads. Everything else I am comfortable with ie...highways and such. I just seem to not fully trust that the bike will not slip out from beneath me and the limits the bike can be pushed... I have never been to a trackday and don't know that I will quite yet. For me, I enjoy just riding on the roads.

R6 Rider;

First of all; Welcome to the Forum.

If I may respond to your background, I'll offer a thought.

IIRC, the Katana was more of an upright street bike with a different riding style that what is required to ride an R6, especially in the twisties so you are starting from a whole new platform. When I transitioned from a street bike (Triumph) to a sport bike (Ducati) I really struggled. I felt like I had never known how to ride a motorcycle yet I had ridden thousands and thousands of miles at that time.

I concluded that I couldn't get there from here so in a follow up meeting with my Ducati riding insurance agent (who worked part time at the dealership) he suggested that I try the School. It was very good advice because unlike the MSF course, it is expressely focused on cornering a motorcycle which I believe is the heart of your inquiry.

Anyone can ride an R6 in a straight line but cornering an R6 is a very different proposition. You do need to know how to do it properly and as you read the two Twist books, you will get a real appreciation of what it will take. You may grasp the principles without the School's training but my experience was that having a a top professional explain the process in the classroom followed by a track session focused on executing a series of progressive drills allowed me to process the information much more quickly. Add in the feedback from a highly skilled track coach (all are current or former racers) who alternate between leading and following you and you get real time feedback on your progress...all for about the price of a mounted set of track tires. The School is all about cornering - not racing so even if you never venture back onto a track, your time in the twisties will become a much more enjoyable ride.

Regardless, if there are particular questions you have about cornering questions, post them here. There are a lot of people who can help you here (I'm not one of them) so let the Forum know the particulars and see what happens.

Kevin

Hi R-6, and welcome.

Kevin's better than he lets on :rolleyes: (been to a number of schools and also raced).

Getting some theory from the Twist books is a great way to start. If you have any questions on what you cover, pop them up here, we'd like to hear them.

Hitting the twisties is the issue, so I'll ask you a question about that. Have your read any of Twist 2 yet, and if so, covered the chapters on Throttle Control?

Best,

Cobie

Hi r-6

use to have the same nick in the r6 forum, when i use to have my 2006 r6 raven.

Your bike is great, and as i have read, very different from the one i have. However, they are sportbikes made with a trackminded intention (IMO). You will not apreciate it in full until you try it on a track....there is were the monster wakes up! is a great bike for the track, rather than a street use.

Welcome to the forum!