Newbie....in Need Of Some Instruction

Hello everyone,

My name is Dexter, I'm riding a 08" 600RR I've been riding for about 2.5 years and I just came back from Okinawa, Japan and moved to Warner Robins, GA. I hear Keith and his team are going out there to help the military, to bad I left before the event. I'm signing up for Level I & II next month for June 6-7 at Barber. I need all the instruction I can get and can't to learn from the coaches. I look forward to meeting a lot of new folks.

Hello everyone,

My name is Dexter, I'm riding a 08" 600RR I've been riding for about 2.5 years and I just came back from Okinawa, Japan and moved to Warner Robins, GA. I hear Keith and his team are going out there to help the military, to bad I left before the event. I'm signing up for Level I & II next month for June 6-7 at Barber. I need all the instruction I can get and can't to learn from the coaches. I look forward to meeting a lot of new folks.

Hi Dexx,

Glad you are aboard, and welcome to the forum. We do some traiining for the military, but it isn't what can be done at a regular racetrack, so you doing level 1 and 2 is an excellent way to get moving on this. Barber is a fun track too!

Post away, let us know what you are interested in (continuing my quest to increse the "posters" as opposed to the "lurkers"). Also if you have any specific questions, let 'er rip.

:D

Best,

Cobie

I'm really interested in bettering my cornering skills, body position, and the visual aspect of looking more into my turns. I've heard many good things about CSS and figure why not go ahead and get started now that I'm in the U.S. again. There's so many things I would like to work on I would be naming things all day :D

I'm actually going to use my bike for the Level I & II at Barber, because I think it helps to actually ride my own bike. I will learn more about my bike and get more comfortable with it. I've rode with tons of people in Okinawa and always find myself being the slow guy. I think its the correct part of my brain telling me, "Hey, slow down a car/truck could pull out of any of these blind corners". That's why I feel the track is the place where I will finally be able to relax more and ride my bike like it was designed to be ridden.

I'm really interested in bettering my cornering skills, body position, and the visual aspect of looking more into my turns. I've heard many good things about CSS and figure why not go ahead and get started now that I'm in the U.S. again. There's so many things I would like to work on I would be naming things all day :D

I'm actually going to use my bike for the Level I & II at Barber, because I think it helps to actually ride my own bike. I will learn more about my bike and get more comfortable with it. I've rode with tons of people in Okinawa and always find myself being the slow guy. I think its the correct part of my brain telling me, "Hey, slow down a car/truck could pull out of any of these blind corners". That's why I feel the track is the place where I will finally be able to relax more and ride my bike like it was designed to be ridden.

Dexxx;

Excellent Post...and I totally agree with your statement that "the track is the place...(where) it was designed to be ridden."

Since you have some time before Barber, I would suggest that you get the Twist of the Wrist vol.s 1 & 2 so you can build a good foundation before you get there.

Kevin

Makes sense, and that's a good reason to ride your own. There are a few things that we have noticed too: sometimes a student comes and his bike is not set up very well, tires, suspension primarily--sometimes the springs are fatigued, the old is old in the forks, or the shock won't adjust into a correct range. When you ride a well-set up bike, you now have a good comparison as to what your bike should feel like and should do. Our bikes work really well, if something isn't working, it's replaced. Another thing that can happen is some riders are overly concerned about their bikes, either abusing it or crashing. Not that we want you to crash ours, but sometimes just not worrying about it is a plus.

We occasionaly get riders that do 1 day on ours (and then one on theirs, often ours first).

Something to consider, but the training is all the same no matter whose bike you are on.

Cobie

I will be buying the books soon, is the lean bike going to be available at Barber in June?

Hi Dexx,

Yes, we'll have it there. Barber has room to run it, but not if its wet. If it is wet, let me know, we can do some stuff static that is the next best thing.

Prolem in the wet is too easy to spin or lowside.

C

• 1 month later...
Well I haven't been on the forum in a while been busy with school. Are there any spots left for Barber on June 6 & 7, I want to do Lvl 1 & 2

Hi Dexx,

Looks like there is still room in some groups, but not much. Have to check with the office, depends on if you want to use our bike or your own. I'd call the office right away: 800-530-3350.

Best,

CF

• 3 weeks later...
Signed up around last week for Level 1 and I'm on standby for Level 2 at Barber June 6-7. I was late signing up, but I hope something comes through for me to book Level 2

If you can take a shorter notice, could for sure happen. Often as it gets closer, guys drop off the wait list pretty fast, so if you can, plan on being there (sometimes guys even no show on the day of the school).

CF