Feeling (grip)

qzrlsd

Hi everyone, I recently read an article by Andy Ibbot about knowing the limit of traction and what it feels like.

My question is how do I get this level of feeling without falling off?

The only time I've known about being over the limit of traction is when the rear of my bike slid out in the rain because I'd gassed it too much out of a turn (on the road). Because I didn't mess with the throttle I was OK, but I'd rather not repeat it!

So, can I get this level of feeling? or have a strategy to find the traction levels?

Hi everyone, I recently read an article by Andy Ibbot about knowing the limit of traction and what it feels like.

The only time I've known about being over the limit of traction is when the rear of my bike slid out in the rain because I'd gassed it too much out of a turn (on the road). Because I didn't mess with the throttle I was OK, but I'd rather not repeat it!

So, can I get this level of feeling? or have a strategy to find the traction levels?

qzrlsd;

The School has a Lean/Slide bike that is used to teach you to break the rear tire loose at lean in a controlled manner. It has hydraulic outriggers on both sides to offer some stability and having been on it a few times, I can tell you that is an amazing tool that really does show you where the traction limit is.

Kevin

This is a great topic to discuss, QZRLSD. I was thinking about something similar over the weekend. However, I was thinking about how to approach the limits of traction in a safe way on the FRONT tire. When 'pushing the front' how do you read that? I've done it once and it was by accident, and not knowing what it was I didn't want to do it again. And so I backed off pushing through what was probably a barrier in my riding.

Hi Qzrlsd,

Welcome to the forum.

A little more info on the the Lean and Slide bike:

The Lean bike is trained at Level 2. This done after the Level 1 training, some key fundamentals need to be in place. The Lean Bike is used to sort out how a rider is attached to the bike as the first step. The overwheling majority of students that come out fight the bike when they push it a bit, and without knowing how to correctly attach and anchor oneself, trying to slide it is not wise.

We can also sort out some key visual skills with the Lean bike.

At Level 4 is when we change the settings and work on a rider's ability to slide it (it then becomes the Slide bike). Without the previous skills in order, it can be a shoot to have the rider get a solid result. The slide bike training was recently upgraded to this new format, and getting the best results ever. Even with that runway, some are not ready to slide it.

One of the "traditional" ways to get used to sliding was to spend a lot of time in the dirt (some of it on your head :)). Some get pretty good there, quite a few don't.

Best,

CF