How Often Do You Service Suspension

I thought I'd ask this question here as there are people on this forum who are well educated in suspension.

So how often would you service your suspension components? i.e. change fork oil or springs get your rear shock stripped, serviced and rebuilt? Is there a way of telling if a spring is fatigued, or would you replace it after a set amount of miles anyway?

I thought I'd ask this question here as there are people on this forum who are well educated in suspension.

So how often would you service your suspension components? i.e. change fork oil or springs get your rear shock stripped, serviced and rebuilt? Is there a way of telling if a spring is fatigued, or would you replace it after a set amount of miles anyway?

There will be some big differences in here, depending on if it's a racer, doing a lot of racing, street bike, or street/track.

One other thing is when you transport it, really paying attention to not tieing the front too tight. Keith had his racebike front springs fatigue from being over-tightened once!

I'll see if Mike wants to get in on this, he works for a suspsion guy, and is a pretty good one himself.

CF

Cobie's right, really depends on who you're talking about - the racer, streetbike or a bike used for both!

Most service manuals (for road use) suggest changing the fork oil every 2 years I believe, although personally I'll only change it if I've gotta replace a fork seal.

Like most gradual wearing items like wheel/head bearings, suspension, etc. , it's hard to tell if you ride it all the time, as you will be getting used to it as it's very slowly gets worse. For a quick check get a competent rider to take it for a spin - another (good) rider will always comment on something.

So far I've only had one rear suspension unit collapse on me, only cost 2 broken ankles and 6 broken ribs....typical that it would happen on a corner! In fairness it was 15 years old and at the time my money went towards keeping the engine running!

That's probably not a fantastic help, but something to read while the real suspension guru's get back to this thread! :)